1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to determine accumulation for billing purposes?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by godjwood, Dec 5, 2009.

1. godjwood

godjwood Member
    from ri

Hi,

I am plowing for the first time, possibly tonight!

I have 14 accounts lined up so far, and I broke the prices down into increments (2.6, 6.1-9, 9.1-12, 12+)

Just wondering your methods of charging the customers. I would assume of course you will have to lean in the customers favor, but I don't think it is practical or makes sense to get out a ruler at each driveway. What is your method in determining snowfall accumulation for billing purposes? Thanks.

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Use a ruler at a couple properties, and common sense, dont screw your customers, dont screw yourself.

3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I'm with Longae...Break out the trusty ruler, only takes a second to measure.

4. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

Am I the only one here who uses one of these?

micrometer-001.jpg

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Ruler or news cast. I always rule in favor of me! payup

6. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Tough to measure depth with one of those, but I guess if you've gotta know if its 6" or 6.1", you'd better have something pretty accurate.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  7. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

Yep, Wouldn't want to plow out a customer if the trigger depth was off by 1/10th of an inch.

8. cubicinches

What do you do as far as billing when there's 6.08 inches of snow??

9. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

I get out my ole' trusty calculator or course!
    The key is so noone tries to steal it. Expensive peice of technology!

old-calculator_183.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  10. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

nice calculator.

I myself just measure it, if it is around 6 inches then they get charged for the 6 inch rule.

I just tell them that it is better for me to charge the 1.5 X then the 3 times at 2 inches rule. I think they would rather have a bill for $50 rather than $105 for the 6 inches.

11. godjwood

godjwood Member
    from ri

thanks for the help.

I am just planning out my route for tonight.. and it says it will take 3 hrs to drive between 13 residential driveways. How much time should i plan on at each driveway? 20 mins? how long does an average driveway take?

12. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

3 hours just driving? And that time is probably in ideal weather...And time would depend on the driveway..which only you would know what they look like.

13. godjwood

godjwood Member
    from ri

well, that is why i am asking for an average time to expect. the driveways are nothing ridiculous, they would all be in the "average" range plus or minus, meaning about 20 ft driveways and 10 ft walks.

14. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

How does one get 13 accounts...and not know how long it would take to plow them?
    Iv'e been advertising like hell and don't have that many.

15. godjwood

godjwood Member
    from ri

internet, and existing customer base of 300 customers.

how long does your average driveway take?

16. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

I can do mine in 20 minutes if I really beat my truck up.

17. cubicinches

A 20 ft driveway takes me about two minutes... maybe. No shoveling though.

And no stopping to measure the snow either.

18. godjwood

godjwood Member
    from ri

what is the usual strategy? back drag from the garage doors, then back in and push the snow out?

19. JMS

JMS Member

Back drag to the road or almost the end of drive way then push it onto the lawn and away you go, if you turn around your wasting time. you should be able to get a double wide drive done in 5 min or less.

20. cubicinches

I like to plow going into the drive with the blade angled to the lawn side, pick the blade up just before the doors, straighten it out, backdrag from the door back down the drive while angling backward towards the grass, do the other side of the drive the same way. Clean up anything left at the end... then see ya! Takes some practice to not leave a mess in front of the door, but it keeps you from driving on the snow and packing it down and you don't have to turn around to back in.