1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to deal with this liquid storage problem....

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Plow man Foster, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Ok well i have a couple condo complexes where we use straight liquid/ brine....
    And ussually by the time we are done salting 2 or 3 of them we are usually bone dry in our tanks....
    I thought of dropping off a liquid storage tank. but only thing is i dont think theres anyway to LOCK it! therefore any person could come and steal my liquid!
    Im not really too worried about a resident taking any of it since all of them are like 70+ and woulnt know what to do with it im afraid some contractor would get word of it and start filling up his tank!
    It wouldnt be hard for me because we have the pump to fill up our tanks (in the truck) just hook and book pretty muck!

Otherwise we have to head back like 20+ min in Blizzard like conditions to the shop to fill up again..

Has anyone ran into this problem before?
    What did you come up with?
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

There is a lockout tag out made to fit almost every situation. I am sure if you go to a Granger Supply, or a Northern Tool you should be able to find something that you can lock it up with.
  3. Plow man Foster

yeah i just dont want to put a chin link fence up!
    The tanks would prob hold bet 300 and 800 gallons...
  4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

If you wanted to put a Banjo valve on the tank you could lock it. http://www.banjovalves.com/lockinghandlebanjo.aspx It's not super high security, but it may be enough. I had one of these on a tank at a WalMart for a couple seasons and never had an issue with theft.
  5. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

I have a couple of condo complexes we do and they always have empty garages that they rent to residents. We rent at one to store a snow blower and bagged ice melt for walks. Maybe they would rent you one to store your tank in. I doubt that anyone would want to look at a storage tank all winter when left in the parking lot.

How many gallons does your truck hold?
  6. Plow man Foster

hahaha no we wouldnt put it where alot of people could see it...it would go back next to the dumpster.
    Our truck holds 600 gallons...
    At these condos either the garage is connected to the resident's house or at the others they have a outdoor car cover structure(?) hard to explain....