1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to convince future customers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by business, Apr 22, 2004.

1. business

business Junior Member

Hello, I operate tractors to clear driveways. But before the snow starts, I ask people if they would use my services. 3/4 of them tell me No! I have a snowblower!!! What would be the best method to convince those future customers not to use their blower and to try me out for the next winter season? I need help here!

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've found trying to convince a snowblower owner to use a plow to be an impossible mission so I don't even try. I just wait till we get a 30" snowfall like we did last December. The snowblowers can't handle it and I get called. The main problem with that is plowing a new place you haven't had a chance to stake out. I had to pass on one who wanted me to clear their drive that was in the middle of an open field. Told her I couldn't tell where the drive actually was, where hazards or ditches were etc.

Also, there's no use discussing potential ice, etc, that a snowblower can't handle. They can just wait for that occurance and call you or someone else.
  3. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

That's for sure!! Worst part is, is that people think just because they have a snowblower that they can do anything with it and they are saving themselves so much money. It's hard to believe that someone would rather spend a few hours snowblowing their driveway, than pay someone X amount of money to have it cleared within a short amount of time. You could try to sell them on your reliability. That's what I do for residentials. I ask them what time they need to leave in the morning, and make sure their driveway is done before they leave. That is your only real leverage for beating these people.
  4. Tony Bonventre

Tony Bonventre Sponsor

I agree with mick. pretty hard to convince the guy who bought a snowblower not to use it. Even if he can't stand it he bought it and is going to use it. leave them a card tell them to mark their driveway and give you a call when they can't handle it anymore. Oh yea if you get people who like to run snowblowers you could probley hire them to do some sidewalks on some larger commercial, properties
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2004