1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to contact Homeowner Association's

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by yellowcody, Jan 5, 2010.

1. yellowcody

yellowcody Junior Member

Can anyone tell me if there is somewhere to go that will tell you who the contact is for different Homeowners Association's.

Thanks for your help.

2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

There are a few ways to find out.

I can tell you how it is here and some of that MAY be the same there.

I am in the building and land development business and a realtor.

If the property is new (still sites to build on) it will be controlled by the builder or land developer.

If it is older and established it may still be run by the builder or land developer as a source of profit........however most try to get away from the hassle of phone calls and complaints.

So if it is existing and NOT handled by the builder or developer it can be handled two ways.......by the home owners, they vote in a president and other officers and have meetings and bylaw and run it by people in the community. If it's not it will likely be run by a professional management company that takes a fee out of the dues for their effort.
    You can find out a few ways on "who" is running it, one is straight forward, go to a home owner and ask, who manages your association OR if you don't want to be so obvious you could contact a realtor that has sold or has a property for sale in that community and they may be able to tell you. The last and the least likely is to go to the local court house and see if the association is "a matter of public record" some but very few are recorded.....the typical case of when they are is if the covenants and management are clearly recorded because what that say and do "runs with the property" meaning no matter who owns the property these restrictions and sometimes this management company runs with the property as well.
    I would start by asking a home owner......should be the fastest and easyist.
    If you go to the courthouse check and see if the covenants and restrictions that are recorded say anything about snow removal or management......they may list he guide lines for removal and management and fees........that can be helpful.

Good Luck
    Indy:salute:

3. yellowcody

yellowcody Junior Member

Thanks for your input. It gives me somewhere to start. I know I would not get any contracts this year, so I have time to find out by next year.

Thanks again Indy.

4. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Anytime!:salute:

5. tinffx

tinffx Member

9 times out of 10 just google the name of the subdivision and add "homeowner's association" to the search & you will find it. I do a lot of business in MD (I sell for the mortgage side of a bank) and that is how I find them. There is a handful of management companies that specialize in residential management that handle probably 75% of them in the DC area. You will find also that the developer or builder always relinquishes control of the association at a set point in selling out...otherwise the project would not be approved by HUD & financing it would be difficult.
    Some will keep rental communities but by definition that would not be an owner's association. It doesn't mean that a builder would be a bad door to knock on. They control the majority vote in associations that are not sold out yet usually.

6. yellowcody

yellowcody Junior Member

Thanks for your input. It will save me a little bet of time before asking homeowners.

Thanks again for your help tinffx