1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to connect in a Sirius radio...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Jan 4, 2010.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I got a sirius satellite radio for my truck for Christmas. I also got the adapter to connect it directly into the truck's radio. However, I need to see if there's an easy way to access the "aux" input on the radio, preferably without taking apart the whole dashboard. Any ideas?

If not, I'll probably just use the FM connecting antenna that comes with it.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. brown91redcam

brown91redcam Junior Member

I think you will only be able to use the inline adapter with a stock radio but the radio is not difficult to remove to access the rear of radio

3. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

The FM adapter sucks. If you travel anywhere you will need to know what radio stations to use as you will possible pick up broadcasting from whoever uses that channel where you are traveling to or lose signal all together.

I used it that way many times and when I switched to my dodge I use the aux in on the front until I have the time to pull the deck and do a proper install. Much better then FM you do not have to crank the volume on the stock radio also no interference from other peoples radios.

I have heard if you get the old sat receivers like 5 years and down and has not been used in almost as long period you can get free radio as sirus does not ping those or something, there computers just think its not active anymore.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I just did mine in my Ford ,it was very easy to do. Bought the car adapter hook the antenna to the radio and also use to antenna that came with it.

5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

So you used the "string" antenna (FM) that came with it?

6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Okay- but what's the procedure? Which dash panels have to come off?

7. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

Do all the chevy radio's have an aux input in the rear of the radio? I have an 06 with a Bose system and it doesn't have an aux input in the front.

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I had the whole radio out of my truck earlier today- I didn't see any "aux input" jack there- anyone know if there's one and I missed it? Mine is a single CD player with no tape deck- Delco factory radio...

Also- how does one go about removing the antenna coaxial cable out of the radio? I have the FM adapter but could not get the coaxial cable out... leave it to GM :rolleyes:

9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

u want it in the aux otherwise youll have to keep searching for a good signal if you drive any distance.... in my dodge we have the tape thing that goes into the cassette player and it makes the sirius signal 100% clear

10. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

11. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

12. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

If only my truck had a tape player in it grrrrrrr......:mad:

13. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

wow ur in bad shape

14. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Gee thanks- oh well- looks like I'll be using the FMR thingy for now...

15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

antenna should just pull out the hook the adapter kit to it

16. QuadRacer041

I vaguely remember mine being very hard to get out as well. If there is nothing securing it in, then you just need to man hadle that biotch to get it out. Try rotating it to free it up.
    I have installed that antenna adpter and have had no problems since then, going on almost 2 years now.

17. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

What vehicle did you do it on? I just don't want to snap the cable- as I'm not sure it's going to come out...:confused:

18. QuadRacer041

06 2500hd crew cab with a bose system

19. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Got the adapters I needed to use the FM modulator- leave it to GM... they use a non-standard size antenna jack :rolleyes: But $30 in adapters later, I've got it wired in- no more static- LOVE THIS THING!:nod:

20. the snowman

the snowman Junior Member

Where did you get the FM modulator from. Does radio shack have it. I have the same radio you have and trying to do the same as you.