1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to clean up hydraulic oil?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Dec 14, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Well, I blew a hose on my Fisher plow last night plowing (hose had a wear spot I was ignoring, should have replaced it earlier- my fault), luckily had a spare on hand, but it spilled a quart of fluid all over a clients' paver driveway. anyone know the best way to deal with cleaning up the oil (just leave it to wash off in the rain)??? Does it stain pavers?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Kitty litter works best if put on immediatly and yes it will stain pavers. A good degreaser and scrub brush should take it off, a power washer would also help. Oil is a PITA to get off, as you will find out. Good Luck

3. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I know that Hydraulic oil does not come off your clothes. I have found that using something like Go Jo and rubbing it into you clothes and then washing as usual works great. As for getting it off the pavers, I don't know.
    I don't think it would hurt to try.

4. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Nasty stuff. This.

I'd call a reputable paver supplier or Unilock directly and get their "Immediate" advice.

Worse case scenario, you have to replace the pavers.

5. TEX

TEX Senior Member

when we run out of the good stuff on the fire trucks we use kitty litter. and it does stain you clothes. my bunker gear can testify to that. been cleaned many times still has spots.

6. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

The solution is to burn the stain off with a torch! I use the torch attachements that hook up to a bbq propane tank. It's neat watching the stains dissapear. It works great on interlock pavers......not sure about asphalt though.

7. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

hmmmmm ill have to remember that one

8. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

not my litter:cry:

cat.jpg

9. Simple Green

full strength

Simple Green took rustoleom paint off my sweat shirt
    and it wont be an issue re contamination of soil/water

10. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

If all else fails use brake clean get a spray can and hose it down. As a mechanic I can tell you it is the schiznit.