1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to choose?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by trigoon, Nov 7, 2008.

1. trigoon

trigoon Junior Member
    from Canada

Hello everyone,

I have been searching for a while and with winter coming up I'm getting even more worried, luckily (I hope) I found this forum and come to all you "professionals" to help me choose. Now as the winters seem to be getting longer and harsher I need a snowplow. However I have absolutely NO idea on what to look for.

I did a lot of research and the most I could find was that an ATV with a snowplow attachment might be the way to go. However I don't know if thats true. I can't use one of those snow plow attachments for my van as its quite old and won't be able to handle much. I found one on the internet at http://www.giovannibikes.com/ATVs-23730/4858345-New-GIO-Bear-300cc-4x4/ProductInfo.aspx, sounds like a good deal but that might just be because I havent been able to find many.

My question is, is the above a good option? What are any other good ones that aren't too overpriced? Now just so you know this isnt for me, I currently go to university and this is for my father who owns a small motel here in Canada. The motel has a fairly large driveway and the last winter when we tried to move the snow by hand it just didnt work out too well. Anyways I would appreciate all the help I can get, oh also is an electric lift a better option than a manual one? How hard are the manual ones to operate and what are my options for an ATV (if thats the best option to start with) with an electric lift? It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks again!

2. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

I have never heard of Giovanna. I have, however, had great experience with brands like Honda and Arctic Cat. Plus I don't think a 300cc engine is going to give you much pushing power.

That ATV looks like something you would see for sale at Sams Club.

You get what you pay for. You should consider a name brand ATV if you're going to get one. Most companies have great financing options.

3. trigoon

trigoon Junior Member
    from Canada

Ah okay thanks, now if I were to go with Honda or something similar where would I look? Do they include snow plows? And if no where would I buy one and how are they attached? I basically have no experience with attaching anything to vehicles.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get a good machine with parts and service readily available.
    An ATV is not a good thing to use on a parking lot or long drive. They donlt have as much mass as a truck. Plus you are still out in the cold.

5. country_boy

country_boy Junior Member

get at least a 400cc ATV. plows are seperate if you buy it new. now that winter is here it might be hard to find a used one with a plow already on it. but i have a cycle country plow on my yamaha big bear 400 pushes great. but you will need a truck (of course 4x4) and about a 7'6" western straight blade os snow way, if you are doing commercial properties. but ATVS are great for sidewalks and smaller-med driveways as longs and snow is at a decent height.