1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to charge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbutch83, Jan 23, 2003.

1. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

We have been hit with over 12 in. of snow in the last day, along with sub zero temps and wind chill. Have to clean up some lots tonight, along with some salting. I know that our normal application of salt is not going to have much effect, and we will most likely be putting down 1 1/2 to 2 times as much salt. Do you charge for two applications, or what.

Thanks,

John

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

If it were myself....yes. two times the amount of material=two times the price

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Charge for 2 applications.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You charge a set rate per application, no matter how much material you use? If that's the case, then just because you put down twice as much material, I'd think you'd still only charge the set rate. Seems like that's the chance you take.

I charge by how much material is used, so I really don't have a grasp on your method. I'm not trying to start an argument, just wanting to figure this out.

5. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Yes, charge for what you use. If you use 2x, then charge 2x. Unless your contract states otherwise you’re within your means to do what it takes to keep it the way they want it... No freebees, especially when material is involved. :D

6. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

I agree with Mick and Offroad. We set up a price per 500 lbs of salt. Most of our lots get charged "1" in the quanity collum. Some of our larger lots get charged "4" in the quanity collum. If its a big ice storm, 5 or 6 in quanity. Works for us, and the customer likes it because they get what they pay for.

7. Ben

Ben Member

I would charge 2x but tell the customer why. They probably will not have a problem with it if you tell them about it before they get the bill.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

That's why we charge "per ton applied".A set application price only seems to work well on smaller lots,where the material amount does not vary by much.

Either way you do it,charge for 2 apps,or twice the material,whichever you think you customer will be happier with,as long as you still make your profit on it.