1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"HOW" to charge?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by TerraScapesMT, Jan 21, 2009.

1. TerraScapesMT

TerraScapesMT Junior Member

OK, so im kinda new to plowing (this is my second year) and I'm just trying to figure out the best way to charge. I have been charging on a "per push" basis with different levels...(3"-, 3"-6", & 6"+).
    I am subbing for a larger contractor this year so I dont have too many contracts of my own yet. This system has worked out ok...but what about this situation - I plow 5 Town Pump gas stations for this contractor. We go in at a 3" trigger and, if it works out that we can stat at midnight or so, we plow the whole lot. If that 3" is in the day, we plow the driving lanes, then might go back in that night only to have to plow the whole lot again because it kept snowing after that initial 3" trigger. Also, if it is going to be a big storm, we leave the carwashes until we have done the initial visit on each lot and then go back.
    So, there could be a storm when we plow the driving lanes 3 times, the main lot and parking spaces 2 times and the carwash only once.:dizzy:
    Also, with gas stations the lot gets packed down so much in most storms that there ends up being a couple inches of packed snow in the driving lanes that we can't scrape up. Then the city spread mag chloride, it gets tracked in to the lots, the snow starts "popping up".. so we go in and plow that loose snow, sometimes a few days in a row.

How does everybody charge for this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

I would saw that it depends on how picky the station owner/manager is. If he doesn't like hard packed snow then clean it and charge them for it. Most people have a minimum charge per trip. It doesn't necessarily have to be as much as your per push price since your not cleaning the whole lot.

Just ask them, snow pack doesn't bother some people and they may not care about having you clean it up. If it were my station I would want it looking as good as possible.

3. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I would do it 1 of 2 ways. First off and the easiest, is to charge hourly. 2 trucks show up for 1 hour, they get billed 2 hours at what ever rate I charge.

Second would be to give a per place price. Car wash is $20. Opening up the lanes is $30. Full plow is $50. etc. I have some mowing jobs that are that way. They have irrigated turf and non irrigated turf. The non irrigated turf doesn't need it every week. So they aren't charged for it.

4. evertonyardcare

evertonyardcare Junior Member
    from ny

what is the per hour charge for snow removal in NYS what is the dump cost (loaeder & dump truck)
    help in NY