1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to Charge with a small truck

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by SnowFakers, Nov 18, 2013.

1. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I'm sure this may have been discussed before but I could drum anything up. I plow with a ford ranger and I'm a little confused as to what I should do. I have my prices setup for 1-6,6-12,12+ but with my smaller truck even for the 6" storms I may need to go twice unlike bigger trucks who can do it all once. Should customers be charged twice just because I don't have bigger equipment? Or should I just kind of eat it? It is only my first year and I'm just looking for some help. I charge per push but in worried since I can't push as much with my truck that customers wouldn't like me having to come more often and being charged for it. Thanks for the help

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

what is the trigger depths on your contract? If the trigger is 2 inches plOw every 2 inches.

3. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

All my triggers are 2", and I charge for every 2"?

4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

If you charge for every 2 inches then you would be there 3 times for 6 inches and will not have a problem with your small truck. You have stated two different price plans here. 1-6 6-12 12+ and the other is trigger at 2" . ???

5. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Has to be one or the other. For my commercial properties i go by the 2-3" trigger depending on what the contract states. My residential goes by a certain price per day or per ft. Example is if we get 6" one day i punch out my driveways in the evening for one money, if we get another 10" that night i punch them out again in the morning for 2nd money. Another example is if it snows all night and there is 16" on the ground, it cost 2 money "1-12 inches for each money". Now lets say we get a true NorEaster storm, we get 14" by morning, another 12" by evening and another 10" by morning. This storm calls for steady plowing for several days. That storm will require at least 3 pushes at a cost of 4 money. Dont like it?? Lowes has shovels for $10!

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You are killing your self 3 visits for 36'' of snow
    If I got 36'' of snow I would charge 6 times cuz I plow drives every 6'' of snow fall some wants it done every 4''

7. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I'd just tell your customers that you will must come at max 6" but you got to ask them, on a 2" trigger if they want you to come 3 times for a 6" snow or just one time when storm is over or when 6" is reached.

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

This is a really good point. If you're charging me $35 to plow my driveway and for a 6" storm my bill is $105 I'd be pretty upset. If it's what the customers want than go for it, just make sure you are clear about the way you will be handling their account.

Also make sure you have someone with a larger truck who can help you, a heavy wet storm will be a hard push even at 2-3" sometimes.