1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to Charge for Snowplowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PAB, Nov 1, 2007.

1. PAB

PAB Junior Member

I'm totally green and would appreciate some solid advice. How do I charge for commerical and residential snow plow jobs? I'm located in Massachusetts. Thanks in advance.

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Personally, I charge in increments. I only plow resi's, here is how I price for an average size driveway: 2-3"- $45, 4-6"- $55, 7-9"- $70, 10-12"- $85, 13"+ $100+. Your prices will depend greatly on your area, these are teh prices for most of my drives in my area. Whatever you do, don't underbid or charge a flat rate of like $30 for 2-14+" or you'll end up gettign sc#@wed! IMO, incremental pricing is the way to go. Perhaps others can chime in as to how they price commercial? BTW- WELCOME TO PLOWSITE!:waving:

3. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

where abouts in MA are you.
    I'm out in the Framingham area.

4. PAB

PAB Junior Member

thank you for the advice on the pricing mkwl - i'm in boston and don't have a clue on how to obtain jobs - do you knock on doors, send out cards, flyers - go directly to businesses and talk to the owners? do you get paid on site or bill?

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

You guys actually charge people to do this? what a revolutionary idea!! :dizzy:

6. WINTERGROUP

WINTERGROUP Member

What To Charge

THE PLOW INDUSRTY NO MATTER WHERE IT IS HAS A PRICE RANGE,I HAVE SEEN GUYS CHARGE ANY WHERE FROM $25-$150 PER HR. THE NORM IN CT IS $45-$65 PER HR SUB, $85-$125, LOOK AT WHAT IT COSTS YOU i.e TRUCK PAYMENT, INSURANCE, FUEL, LABOR, MAINTENANCE. IF YOU CAN TURN A 30-50% PROFET YOU ARE IN GOOD SHAPE

7. PAB

PAB Junior Member

is fisher a good brand for snow plows?

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

The BEST IMO! I have gotten all my jobs by word of mouth. You could also do direct mailings.

9. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I would agree with this to a certain extent. I'm in NH. I find that too many pricing breaks like that just confuse customers and makes them think you're trying to screw them...2-4" is very subjective and you can say it was 5-6" where the drifts are.

I have just one break...we don't get many 12" storms here anymore and if we do, it's over 2 days so 2 seperate days. I go from 2-8" and then from 8" or higher is another 50% of the base price. So a $35 drive would be $50 with 8" or more of snow.

10. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm in the south western end of Ma.. I use the " per push" method of invoiceing. I try to plow at 2-4" intravals during a storm to keep up with it. It gets too confusing to a lot of people if you use a step plan. Also, there are some that will always argue the total amount.

11. mmplowing

mmplowing Member

turbo38sfi where in Southern NH are you?

We charge per push as well and give a discount for each additional push. So if we push just once per storm it would be say $45 and then if we need to push again at the end it would be $35 additional.

12. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I'm in Derry, NH

13. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure you set your own trigger. Make a 1/2 inch to 2 inch trigger, so when it's barely snows you still make money. Try to stick to commercial, and have an hourly rate you charge them, if you do it that way, you can take your time when it snows, and get more for it, be good to your equipment, do a good job, and their business can function properly. If you can't charge hourly, figure out how many inches fall each season where you live, make up an hourly rate that will still give you a high amount of profit, take your trigger @ 2 inch, and figure out how long it will take you to do. Then Divide your cities average snowfall by your 2 inch or so trigger- You will get how many times you may have to plow. Then take your hourly rate that you made up and the time it takes to do the lot, and times it by how many times you will have to plow and there is your sesonal bid. For instance:

60 Inches of average snowfall/2 Inch Trigger=30 plowable events
    I wanna make 200$/hr/ IT takes me an hour to plow this lot
    I take 200x30 to get my seasonal bid
    My bid is 5000$

I try to stay away from this method because I like getting paid by the hour and going real slow, and making more money from clients for going slower and doing a better job!!!!

98 Ford f150 4x4 w/timbrens
    Meyer ST 7'5"
    Troy Bilt Storm 1130

14. TJC

TJC Junior Member

I have had luck charging by how much snow was received. 6in would be two pushes trigger 3in 3-4 1push, 5-8 2push, 9-12 3 push why charge less second time it still takes the same time-- all though heavy snow, I charge alittle more for the difficulty of moving it.. my two cents LET IT SNOWpayup