1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to charge for snow removal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Rosa, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Rosa

Rosa Junior Member

Hi my name is rosa we have been working in lawn care for a little over a year we are getting into the snow plow business but don't have any idea how to charge does any body have a price chart that they go by that is willing to share so we can get an idea ? If so would you
    Be able to email to me I would be so great-full my email is rosa1713@gmail.com
    :dizzy:

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

It's not that simple.

3. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Everyone's costs are different so a price chart is unlikely. The only way you'll know what to charge is by knowing what it costs you. The labor, the insurance, the tax, fuel, etc. Once you know that, then multiply it by whatever percent profit you need to grow the business. It's overwhelming at first, but once you break it down it's not hard. and you'll probably screw yourself once or twice and under estimate a job...that's normal, so take on smaller jobs that if you lose your shirt on, it's not hundreds and not thousands...or worse.

4. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

What part of Michigan are you in? What kind of equipment do you have? How much experience do any of you have plowing snow?

5. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Here's a snow plow truck that drove all the way from Illinois to where I live to plow snow.

There were 2 women and a man who were plowing snow in one of my customers driveways that must have been a whole lot cheaper than I was, as they only had to purchase 3 shovels and some aspirin for after shoveling a 3000 square foot driveway, and 42 steps to the front door of the house.

They were all really short people, dark hair with really nice brown tan skin. They must have made a lot of money stealing that customer of mine, as they never shut the car, or wipers off, the entire time I plowed two other driveways in the neighborhood. I guess I'll never get paid for that snow plowing and walk clearing I did for them back in January, now that they have their new service taking care of them.

[​IMG]

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Need to get a hold of the snowplow expert in Michigan,goes by the screen name Birdseedd

7. Rosa

Rosa Junior Member

We have 2 trucks 3 snow blowers for if one breaks down we are in the holland area we are currently working in Grand Rapids ,fennville and Allegan area this is a family Business any suggestions are great fully appreciated .do you charge by inches and length and withe .we don't want to over charge or under charge and end u paying out of pocket .

8. Rosa

Rosa Junior Member

Thanks this helps.

9. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

Holland area? Okay, that's easy. The going rate is $10 a driveway

10. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Ha! That ****'s funny!

11. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

12. Rosa

Rosa Junior Member

How about the ranches they are usually dirt driveways and about 2 cars wide and about 200 -300 feet long.we work a lot in fennville .

13. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

I would definitely bump that up to $12!

14. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

200-300 feet with snowblowers at 16-20 feet wide? Your just wasting your time, compared to a plow. Smaller drives are better for blowers in my opinion.

I've never plowed or used a snowblower on a dirt drive, have you? I keep picturing the scraper blade cutting into the dirt.

Give yourself a minimum number and go from there. Maybe $20 or $25 minimum to take the snowblower off the truck.

I hope your picking up on the sarcasm from Mr. $10 and $12.

Michael

15. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

Well it depends. If you are doing any salting, shoveling, snow blowing you would have charge a little bit more.

16. Rosa

Rosa Junior Member

Yeah he is a funny guy !!!!!! Thanks

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Try this website, https://www.taskeasy.com/ you can you it to get an idea of what to charge in your area. Just type in the address and "pin" the area to be plowed and the fee will appear. It's a place to start if you have no idea.

BTW the $10.00 thing is probably pretty accurate from what's behind posted here in the past.

18. ffmedjoe

ffmedjoe Junior Member
    from WI

It says i should charge $58 for a driveway like mine..... I WISH!!!

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I've used it on a few places and it's not exact by any means IMO, but I'll give you an idea.

20. chevy2003

chevy2003 Junior Member
    from indiana

I also am questioning my plowing....My boss bought a Western proplow for my truck and I am supposed to keep the docks, parking lot clean evry time it snows 2" or more. My insurance covers everything at no extra cost and was told I will be fine without a commercial policy since I only plow for family, my boss, ect.. I like it as I can do whatever I want with the plow and treat it as mine, but gas is expensive. My boss says I can "clock in" when I pull on the lot and pays me $20 for gas (which my truck uses right at $20/time usually) every time I plow. Am I getting enough $ ?? I get about $50 total/time.....taskeasy.com says cost estimate is around $300/time, but since my boss bought the plow......I feel like I need more $ for wear/tear on truck also. How much more should I ask for?