1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to charge for drifting

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by PlowCow, Jan 7, 2010.

1. PlowCow

PlowCow Junior Member
    from Midwest

First drifting snow has hit and I am unsure how to charge. One of my driveways I cleared this morning had a very large drift in the middle of it by this afternoon. I cleared it but did not have to do anything to the rest of the drive. Do you charge for a partial clear, or full price again?

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicWe charge for a partial clear. Most driveways are done in minutes , so we know how long it would take to clear out 4 inches of snow. and the charge for it. So if it take half the time to clear the drift then its a half charge. Ya never lose customers that way.:D

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Half price usually....unless it takes just as long as a full clean of the drive
    but with this last snow most drifts were bad so they got charged full price

4. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

Full price based on snowfall prior to the drifting.

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Did you guys make half a truck payment this month? Or did you pay your help half what they usually get for working that event? I'll bet you only used half as much gas to get to and from the job?

You can't make money giving away your sevices! If you went there to plow the drive, and actually plowed the drive, then charge what you charge. Otherwise stay home.

6. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

right on!!!!!!!!!

7. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

I hear ya

Very good answer. I am not saying anyone is doing it right or wrong, but I do believe that the price is the price. Our costs are getting to the job. Plowing the driveway is the least expensive part of the job.

8. trycyber

trycyber Junior Member

Thats just awesome!

9. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

making money is a good thing.

10. tinkenboutit

tinkenboutit Junior Member
    from zone 5

Much better to have twenty customers at half price than to have ten customers at full price. :dizzy: :laughing:
    If I show, they get charged full price based on snowfall at the time I arrive. Then if I have to go back, full price again. It ain't a hobby my friends.

11. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

the second you start charging half price for things, people expect more discounts and start taking advantage of you. NICE GUYS FINISH LAST.... its you against them

12. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Sorry dudes, but I would probably clean the drift for a fraction of the plow total or even free.

13. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Have to agree...I'm always driving by my customers at sometime or another. If I look in and see a drift, I just go hit it. Keep your customers happy, and they won't get the guy who says he will do it $5 cheaper. Plus they may actually give your name to someone else!!

14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Me too......:D

15. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

driveways, more than liekly are full price. a few i give a deal to, but im pretty cheap on my driveways (not that i do that many) theres a certain MIN cost to acctually drive out to that house, plow it, and drive home, with fuel and labor. so a drive way bearly covers that cost to begin with. drifting can be so speratic that one house needs it done and the next 8 dont.

commercial lots, its normally around half price or billed hourly depending on the conditions. this is assumign i dont have to replow the whole lot. i come in plow the curb lines, push some spots.

16. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Why would you change your prices? The price is the price, you alter the price one time then you better look out. Next event, "most" of the snow blows off the drivway, leaving only one drift. What do you do, charge half price again or full price? If you charge half price, then that storm you only make half the amount. If you do it one time, then be prepared for controversy on the next from the customer.:confused:

17. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I doubt it. But if they do you will be known as the "free clean-up guy" or the "half price guy" and you better believe that it will be expected.:nod:

18. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Two days ago, snowfall of inch or less, yesterday wind caused drifting. If I happened to be driving past my resi customers on my way to town and noticed a drift in the drive, I would clear it away for nothing. I was going past there anyways and if I would not have done that they would have just drove through it causing a mess. I spent only 1-2 minute total clearing a drive with a drift in it, and when I told them it was free, I got a tip of close to what half was anyways. So it was a win-win anyways. I plowed 1/5 less time to do one drive, and got paid for half of what a full plow would be. Plus when they tell the neighbors and friends, that spreads good word of mouth about my plowing business. Granted they do not get it free everytime, yet I try to get at least each resi one free plow during the season, if it happens that the drifted driveway was the free one I am money ahead. One customer called yesterday and wanted the huge drift cleared from his drive. I told him half price because he was probably the farthest away. He paid me full price plus I got about 40-50 lb bag of taters for a bonus tip.

Posted by dlcs... "I doubt it. But if they do you will be known as the "free clean-up guy" or the "half price guy" and you better believe that it will be expected"
    I bet I will be thought of the plow guy that does a great job and at a fair price. Have you ever gotten paid a tip of taters before? I didn't think so...lol.

Matt

19. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Hey Matt, Try getting your truck or plow fixed by paying the guy in "Taters":laughing: I get what your saying but like others have said, they will expect it from then on.

20. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

This is a joke right?? I sure hope it is. :eek: