1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to charge for clean up nights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Next season I am debating to go out on my own and I was wondering how do you guys with commercial accounts charge for clean up nights. How do you, at bidding time tell them about clean up nights. And lastley do they seem to really want it or do most just say plow it once and thats good enough.:confused:

2. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Multi passes depends on the customer. Retail want to pavement as fast as possible for their customers. Industrial will usually just want it clean enough to keep it legally safe enough for staff. Most have a price in mind that they will not go over. It's your job to find that number and then see if you can do the job for the price. Rarely your price will be lower than the price in their mind. Try to find those that want a multipass and are willing to pay for it. Keep looking until you can get a complete list of those.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

heather - you and I have the same business philosophy. Even in a different thread, about seasonals, where people will want to give them up, you and I are definately on the same page.

4. bingermann

bingermann Member

Commercial

I set up contracted triggers. I push every two inches of accumulation. This is clearly outlined in my contract. I basically charge by the hour for plow, shovel and icemelt with 1 hour minimums. If we get a really big snow then I cannot possibly plow every two inches as it is coming down faster than that, but I do my best to keep up, and my customers have always been happy. I have never been harrassed about any of my billing because when its clear upfront what the triggers are, then the only beef they have is with mother nature. Some accounts want that trigger to be set at 3 inches, but I make it clear that they are responsible for all snow removal up to that point including their walks. You can also negotiate triggers for walkways/entryways seperate from plow triggers.

Trace accounts are really where it is at because you need hand shovelers there from the beginning of the storm to the end. Great $$$. But, they are harder to bid and win without some experience. Not to mention man power. These are amost all retail type accounts. Good luck and GO BRONCOS.