1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to change wiper seal and fluid on E 47

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by leadfooter, Dec 14, 2010.

1. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

Can someone explain or point me to instructions on how to change the wiper seal and fluid on an old E 47 ??
    Thank You

2. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 Senior Member

If your wiper seal leaks you might as well rebuild the whole pump because if the wiper seal leaks the rest of the o-rings and packings are probably shot.

3. D.todd6

D.todd6 Member

4. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

Thanks
    So I just basically remove the top bolts and pull the ram out and replace the wiper seal???
    Does anyone make a boot or sock or something that can go over/cover the ram to help keep moisture off it.... like a shock cover ??
    Thought I saw one once but cant find anything like it now??

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  5. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Streetscrapin is right, if your wiper seal is leaking you need to replace the o-ring on the top cap too, and probably the ram packing. The wiper is not the seal, it's there to guide water/ice out, not keep oil in. First is packing, next is o-ring, then wiper. I'm about to do all three on mine. Go here:

http://www.smithbrothersservices.com/

Do a word search on that page (ctrl F) for wiper and look at the paragraph. These guys also say you need to o-rings for the cylinder and tank, and washers for top cap nuts, etc, though I've had my pump apart a few times without every replacing anything. This time I did pony up the $30 for basic rebuild kit.

6. streetscrapin16

You can get a complete pump rebuild kit for right around $40

7. D.todd6

D.todd6 Member

I just replaced all the o-rings and seal on my pump for the first time. It only takes about a couple of hours (first time) and for $40 dollars for a master seal kit off eBay, you might as well get them all while you have it apart.

8. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

9. streetscrapin16

Angelo's is cheap I just set up my business account threw them and am getting great discounts but I also buy alot of parts to stock.

10. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

I recently put a piece of tarp over my pump when plowing and now no snow blows up on it and I havent had any freeze ups or problems like I used to. I think I was getting alot of water running down the ram.