1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to change wings on boss rt3 v plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bobalu, Jan 2, 2015.

1. bobalu

bobalu Junior Member
    from MI

I need to change from 9'2" metal to 8'2" poly. Dealer says 3 to 5 hours?? Looking at it does not look that hard to do. They say drain the take fluid, take tower off the truck, lay wings flat on ground, lay tower on wings to put pin in. To me it looks like take springs and pistons off and pull center pin out. Well still mounted on truck. Reverse to install new wings. What am I missing here? Would like to do it myself but now they got me worried. They say people try it all the time then end up bring it in a basket to have them do it. It just dont seem like it would be that hard. Any tips or tricks would be helpful. Wallet already hurting after paying 500 for wings 250 to have them welded and now need 425 for cutting edges. And it has only snowed once so far in Lansing this year.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why do you need to change?

3. bobalu

bobalu Junior Member
    from MI

Left is wing bent and rusted.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Understand, but why the down grade

5. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I just did mine, not that bad. Remove the spring and cylinder from wing sides only and pull the pin. When reassembling you will need at least 3 people, one on each wing and one with the pin. It is a little difficult getting everything lined back up but can be done. If you have a tapered end (pointed) pry bar it will help to align the holes.

6. bobalu

bobalu Junior Member
    from MI

Thanks for the reply Lapeer. You did it on the truck right? I just do not see how removing the tower and laying it on top of the wings then standing it back up (can not be lite) is going to save time. How long do you think it took you ?

Diesel I have all small lots. I just don't need the bigger wings that hang down lower and hit the pot holes and driveways. And hopefully make it easier getting in and out of garage.

7. LapeerLandscape

I actually did it off the truck but I had the tower strapped to a pallet jack so I could lift it up and down and move it around. Probably total time just removing and installing the wings was 30 to 45 minutes with the right tools.

8. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

If it's removed and laid flat its a 1 man job.

9. LapeerLandscape

How long does that take? Dealer told him it would be 3 to 5 hours. My way was 30-45 mins, just needed a couple friends to help line it back up.

10. bobalu

bobalu Junior Member
    from MI

Hmmm interesting.
    If it's laying flat isn't it to heavy for one person to tilt back up?
    How do you take the wings off? on the truck or off? Is it hard to get the pin out?
    How long for one person to do?

11. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I built my plow out of the crate. Took me about an hour to assemble the wings and frame. I raised it with an engine crane when it was assembled. Pin went easy. Just reverse the assembly instructions.