1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to change filter?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jaw73, Dec 30, 2008.

1. jaw73

jaw73 Junior Member

I have an 1999 8'2 boss v plow RT w/ Smarthitch, I want to change filters. Are they in the hydr. reservoir tank? Whats the best way to change them?
    thanks,jim

2. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

3. jaw73

jaw73 Junior Member

still couldn't find it in the service mannual

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Screen filters in the reservoir. Slide the pump assembly out of the lift tower and remove the reservoir, you'll see the filters. No need to normally replace them...just a little brake cleaner sprayed through in both directions and your good to go. Give the reservoir a good cleaning while your in there.

5. jaw73

jaw73 Junior Member

Thanks a million !!!!!!

6. 80sturgisrider

80sturgisrider Member

Stop!!

First--ask yourself if you really need to clean the filters? Is the fluid still clean? If so, probably isn't a filter screen problem. Did someone recommend you do it just cause it has not been done in the last couple of years? Does the plow function properly? I just went thru this with mine (RT-3 straightblade). Once I pulled the pump out, I attempted to remove the 4 little screws that hold the resevoir onto the pump and---SNAP. Figured, well 1 down, 3 to go--SNAP. 2 down, 2 to go. Number 3--SNAP. On number 4, it just came right out--no problems at all. Then the real fun began. Trying to find a way to remove the broken studs (steel) from the pump housing (aluminum) without stripping the threads. I took the pump with the busted studs to a machine shop and they heli-arched a small rod onto the broken studs, heated the aluminum housing to get it to expand and they wre able to get all 3 of them out without goofing up the threads. I was really sweating this. Did not want to buy a new pump for $600.00 just yet. Anyway, once I was out of the woods with the studs, then came finding a replacement o-ring for the reservoir to pump. 2 weeks and finally got my hands on one but had to buy an entire rebuild kit for nearly $70.00. Generally I do not fix what aint broke, but in this case, I was just following what my local dealer recommended even though my plow worked PERFECTLY before this evolution. If you have already gotten into the screens, I just hope you had better luck that I did. ussmileyflag

7. jaw73

jaw73 Junior Member

I haven't changed them since I got the plow. Plows working slow. Just guessing there getting pluged.
    I changed fluided a couple times and on the drain plug there was some slug on it. I'm just taking someone's advice on what to try.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then it certainly would be a wise (and inexpensive) idea to do so. A little brake clean goes a long way...especially on the wallet.