1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to carry spreader, salt ,and blower w/pics

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Smitty58, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

The problem every one has is how do I carry my snow blower when I have a spreader on back and a full truck load of salt? This is the idea that came from a few minutes of brainstorming and some time spent drawing. I took the idea to a fabricator and here it is. I can now carry everything I need to do any type of snow plowing and ice melt. If I have sidewalks to do ,no problem now. I still have a ramp to get built but this is going to work out great. If anyone is interested in one you can send me a pm. Send me your thoughts. If you look close at the middle there is a removable foot platform so I can have 1 foot in and 1 foot out of the bed to load the spreader. also the tailgate will fold down without hitting anything.

2. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

Cool, i was toying with the same idea lately, was thinking about something similar to this. Hopefully it will hold up, how much weight is back their,
  3. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

Thanks, I probably will have 300-350 lbs. It is pretty beefy so I think it will hold up fine.

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

:nod: Smitty that looks really good, how much payup do you have in it. Plus how much
    does that blower wesport too. Have you ran in the elements yet?
  5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

that's cool, I started a thread here a while back wondering if anyone had done anything like this before. My problem is I have a BOSS spreader that requires a proprietary trailer hitch so moving it to the side is not a option.

Good luck with the set-up, let us know how it works for ya.

thanks again
  6. John B

John B Junior Member
    from ohio

Looks good smitty,

Thats the same size spreader I have.Holds 650lbs full,hope you dont fill it all the way with it hanging back that far.:)
  7. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I have $420 in it ,which most of it was labor. So if you weld you can build it pretty cheap. I think I'll add something to keep the spreader from bouncing. I just got it finished so I have not had it out yet.
  8. Potomac Lawns

Potomac Lawns Member

Not a bad idea but i see a small problem if you had the snow blower on and spreading salt you would sling it all over the blower, but you prob will not have it on there when salting. nice job looks good.

9. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

It is close to being in the path of the salt being thrown all over it. I may have to enlarge the deflector behind the spinner so I don't bury the blower in salt.
  10. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i don't see your salt spreader working for a long time. :p

I would want to turn the blower around so you have the engine weight closer to where there is more support, but then its prolly a PITA to load. Also can't see from the pics but it almost looks like the spreader is blocking your tailight. I assume not, but if it is around here you would have to add lights. Just an FYI for others
  11. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

If he turned it around the weight would be in the same spot if not futther out because the handle bars would keep it away from the truck. Looks like a good setup but it looks liek your supports on the bumper are denting it. If you want to eliminate some bounce you could use the idea bike carriers use. Thread the hole where the pin goes into your attachment then instead of a pin like a trailer hitch, use a bolt make sure its something heavy like grade 8.
  12. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

85150 - that isn't the way I'm leaving it for the winter, just hooked it up quick to make sure
    my wiring was right. I will be adding some kind of a ramp because you are right it would be a pain to load that big blower without a ramp.
    Thanks for the thoughts, if anyone has any other suggestions feel free to throw them out there. This site is all about helping each other, right?
  13. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

could you make the platform for the blower hinged? Drive the machine up so it sits on an angle and then just muscle it up and have a pin snap-in and keep it from dropping down? Then you wouldn't need any extra ramps
  14. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmmmmmmmm Looks like I've seen that spreader :nod: good job smitty
  15. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I like the idea but you just made a long truck even longer and have a lot of weight bouncing around back there.

I run V-boxes but shifted it over on the platform dump and used a truck crane I found on ebay. Each blower can be lifted on or off in about 1 minute. last year we used straps this year I am going to make cradles for them and have pins to lock them down.
  16. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I would so seal up that wiring, thats a midnight cold hand repair just waiting to happen. I would lose those connectors, hard to tell but they look like basic electical MARR connectors or GB connect crimps? peronsally I don't think those stand up to weather well, I like butt splice connectors, heat shrink ones maybe, or put heat shrink over them maybe. but for sure some electrical tape over them and down the lines abit, I hope it's not to late and you didn't have to fix those in the dark. then again you may never have a problem, it's hard to see int he picture, just going on what i can kind of see.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  17. greatlawns

greatlawns Junior Member
    from NJ

That's a great idea! I did something similar with my set up. I have a GMC Yukon 2 door so I have nowhere to put a snow blower and I don't have a tailgate spreader. So, I picked up a $50 hitch carry platform from Lowes. It says it can hold 500lbs, but with just me standing on it (200lbs.) I don't believe it. So, I welded in some supports and a wheel chock for a Toro single stage blower. It's only 75 lbs so getting it on and off is no problem. I also welded in some supports to hold a 125 lb capacity walk behind spreader, so even though I have to spread salt by hand (or by foot :) ) without spending a fortune I should be all ready to go! I'll post some pics when it's all painted. Great job with yours. I might do the same thing when I get a tailgate spreader.
  18. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Thats a good idea, offsetting the spreader. Looks mounted a little lightweight for my tastes though. Id like to see some beefier something there, and why is it not level. It looks tilted, or is that just me and Id store your salt on the right side of the bed or some ballast on the right side behind the wheel tubs to compensate for the 500 lbs that spreader will weigh when full.
  19. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

that spreader will not hold up with weight in it. I had a spreader mounted like that an it fell completely off . when loaded with the momentum that the spreader is traveling in , either foward are reverse , with a full load that unit will break copletely off that mount . you need some top supports to hold it from swaying in either direction . hope you understand thanks George
  20. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

Badboy- you make a good point. I already was planning some kind of extra support to reduce bounce. I don't plan on driving long distances with the spreader fully loaded ,will just load 4-5 bags when I'm ready to spread it. The other thing I'm working on is another spreader that could be mounted closer to the truck by putting the square tubing vertical vs horizontal. Then I could mount it right over top the angle iron bumper.
    thanks for all the thoughts