1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to care for bulk salt in my truck

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by weckel5984, Nov 20, 2011.

1. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

This year I will be using bulk instead of bagged salt. I have a truck carft insert with the de-icer. what do you guys do to keep the salt from freezing up?
  2. Get it out of there as soon as you can and you'll be ok.
  3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Do not leave salt in it unless the truck is stored indoors.
  4. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

is storing it under a tarp/carport sufficient? or do i need to store it in a heated garage. i currently keep my trucks under carports.
  5. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't leave it stored in the spreader unless you had a treated salt or sprayed it with some LCC
  6. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

what is LCC?
  7. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Liquid Calcium Chloride
  8. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Can i ask which type of TC Spreader you got??
    The rep. tailgate for the one ton or for the dump insert. ??

We used to have the Rep. tailgate spreader For One tons. works great just gotta know how to use it!
    We could keep the salt in the bed over night AT MOST a Couple days. but thats pushin' it!
    Always carry a spaded shovel and a pick just in case!
    If it sits over night the top layers will freeze but thats no biggy, just chop the chunks up and you're good.

ALSO if you know you're going to have salt in the spreader overnight, Clear the auger chute Really well!
    Frozen chunks in the auger will prevent the auger from spinning.
    FYI we had the TC 140 spreader.
  9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I try and get my salt completely out if I can. Sometimes it's wet, so I need to make sure it doesn't freeze up.

Though, there are a few stretches where I leave the salt in the truck. What I do is just tarp it with a heavy tarp and make sure it's down against the salt as tight as possible. This way it will help keep moisture from being absorbed by the salt, and if there is any precipitation, it won't soak in.

Luckily it's worked out for me, but if I feel sketchy at all, I dump it off and re-load it when I need it.

Like I said above though, if it's anywhere near wet, then I get it off the truck for sure.

10. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

ok thanks guys.... i have the dump insert model. i have no way of re-loading it aside from shovel sooo i just wanted to see how at all if possible i could keep it for a few days.
  11. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have the same model as you in aluminum. I would not keep it in there for more then a couple of days sitting or it will freeze up like everyone else said. I kept mine tarp and my supply is very dry and it still wanted to block up in the bed. I would spray it with LCC like suggested and just try and figure out how much you are going to be using per round or event in order to not have a lot left over. I switched over to running clearlane which is treated and I am able to leave that material in my bed for weeks and have no problem with it blocking up. Once you figure out your setting you will be so happy you bought the unit. Just make sure you keep the dump down going under low signs and what not. Have a god season.
  12. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

thanks burkart
  13. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Not fun when it freezes up.Dug this load out with my excavator and then used my custom
    bulk salt crusher revitalizer.

14. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

that looks brutal haha
  15. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

For what it's worth. I have a UTG spreader on a 6 yd dump body. I made a rebar frame and covered the rebar with pipe insulation to cushion the poly tarp I put over the frame. I bungee the tarp down tightly and any rain or snow slides off. I have left salt in the truck for up to 4 weeks in various amounts. The only spots that have gone to solid are around the bottom about a foot from the side walls across the bottom and about a foot up the side. As a precaution, I plumbed a connection into my air brake line and carry a 25' air hose and a air floor scrapper in the cab. It work great for breaking any solids up without breaking my back. This system has worked well during temp swings from +30 to - 20.
  16. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Oh yeah, I've been there with my one ton! Sucks.... You lift the bed ALL the way up yet nothing falls.... Thats when i gotta pull out the ax and shovel!