1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How To Calculate Sand/salt Amount/ Coverage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ALEX516, Oct 24, 2003.

1. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

Hi, I've been working on a bid/proposal and this is the first year we'll be doing more than simply plowing, we'll be running two full bed sanders.

How, or rather is there a formula to calculate how much sand /sand-salt or strait salt is needed to cover a certain area???

Another question would be how should I offer the service, in advance of a severe icinc condition, during a rain in which it will shortly freeze, etc,etc....???

I guess in short I need to know how to market/ write in the contract/bid how the sanding operation and when it will occur.

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

The amount of salt needed to remove ice or snow from an area will change depending on:

amount of snow or ice

3. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

thanks , but how about sand or sand/salt mix,,,,

What's an average amount requied for a 50x50 parking lot?

Amount meaning, quantity of materials?
  4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Welcome to Plowsite!

I don't use sand or mix so straight salt: Figuring a rough average of 500 pounds per acre (sometimes the conditions Geoff mentions will cause you to require more, sometimes less), you would need about 30 pounds of salt for that lot per application.