1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HOW to BUY a PLOW

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BeastMaster, Feb 17, 2007.

1. With SO many choices on the market, how does a relative newbie know what brand/type of plow and spreader to buy ?

I am going to put it on a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. I do residential and small commercial lots.

I am not looking for the cheapest route, don't want kiddie stuff, I want something tough as I can be hard on equipment.

I kinda like the idea of the v plows that fold into a regular plow too. Also, I'd want one with downward pressure as I would be forced to do a lot of back dragging.

I could read every plow/spreader manufacturers website....but good God that'd take me forever.

Any shortcuts the vetrans can help with ??

2. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Just reading on here is a good start. The thing that sold me on Fisher was the dealer that I work with. They have always given me a good price & good service.

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Some thoughts on this...

Buy any manufactures most heavy duty (non-municipal) plow in 8' for commercial lots.
    Residentials you will want a smaller plow if your neighborhoods are from the 40's or earlier.
    ProWings help allot! And a backdrag edge is the best for residential (since most of the time you are backdragging away from the garage) --look at my posts for more info on both of these, search my name in advanced search feature.

V plows are great, I just didn't have the scratch for one when I bought mine.

4. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

If the downward pressure is a must have then you made the decision process a lot easier. Snow-Way is the only plow that offers down pressure. Seeing that you want a V-plow that limits you to two plows from Snow-Way, the 8'3" or the 9'1".

http://www.snoway.com/snow-plows-28v.cfm

Was not so hard was it?

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

True, but he was assuming down-pressure was the ONLY way to achieve a clean backdrag.

A straight blade has less to wrong with it, and adding a backdrag edge will make it clean nice-nice. And is cheaper too.

6. JET enterprises

JET enterprises Senior Member

with a backdrag edge you dont need down pressure, and dont quote me on this but no one manufactures backdrag edges for v plows.. that leaves you with a snowway v with down pressure or a straight blade with a backdrag edge.. all these guys are gunna say whatever they have is the best probably because they have had great experience with it or have had bad experience with other types.. like what carcrz said a good seller is going to keep you coming back and theres no sense in driving 100 miles to get a type of plow if your 5 miles from another

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

You have a great many options with Fisher, from straight heavy duty blades to stainless reinforced X-blades (straight blade with x-bracing on back), V blades, V blades with x-bracing... Fisher runs the spectrum of plows to fit any vehicle. Fisher knows snowplows like Jeep knows 4-wheel drive. You would never go anywhere else after Fisher.

Good luck!

~Kevin

PS: never run a V-blade, but their versatility is incredible. Swore for years I'd never want one, but there's almost no reason NOT to get one

8. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

True and I agree. Maybe I should of said down pressure is not the only way to back-drag.

For me I think the 810 is still has the best back-drag (have no experience with the Snow-Way). Weight versus attack angle maybe?

Maybe I should just change my post to "Buy a Blizzard 810 plus a case of touch-up paint and be done with it". :)

9. Learned something already. Don't need down pressure if I had a back-drag blade. 2) And, a V plow is the way to go if you can afford it.
    3) Wings are a big help.

**I could take up a bunch of time and space here...but you don't even wanna know how I slid over an enbankment today in the truck..4x4 was out...sun out, snow slightly wet and aways I went.
    Was able to drive across a bean field with wife towing me w/ her S-10 Blazer 4x4 and get me back to the pavement. Old truck is done. 4x4 out and transmission damn near it.

**What brand of plow is the easiest to get parts for and which brand is the most heavy duty/maintenance free/ less likely to break ?

10. Plow Width ???

Just measured my junk (see above post) GMC 1500 4x4 pickup. Front isn't quite 7' across. I heard as a rule, you dont want your plow wider than your front end so you lessen the chance of clipping something.

So,, for residential and light commercial lots...I'd want to stay to the 7' width, is this right ?

Or, is there a better width for both worlds..(commercial and residential) ??

11. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

For your half ton a 7 1/2 foot blade is a good start.

Find out what dealers you have in your area and talk with them,get prices and ask around.

Dealer service to me means more than the name on the plow.

12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Whatever you choose make sure there is a dealer near by that carries parts.

13. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I would say to get as wide a plow as your truck will carry. If you have a 7' plow, you will never be able to go around a corner or anything and keep it clean. I thought you were looking for somehting on a heavier truck. If you get a 3/4 ton truck, start looking at Blizzard - if you have a dealer nearby. I love them. They have the most versatility becaue they can be an 8' straight plow when you want to backdrag or get in to a tight spot and they are also a large snow mover when you have the room. We do bot commercial and residential and condos and just about every type of work. These are all I run now. I have never plowed with a 1/2 ton but I would think you could put an 8' plow on there. Wider is always better. Time is money and the more snow you can move at once, the more you can make. It is that simple.

14. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

No v-plow for the 1500. :(

FYI I like the back blading the Blizzard does over the Fisher. Lots better. Not sure if it is the attack angle, weight or what have you but it does just perfect.

Down pressure is just a way to make up for the missing weight of the plow. I say one more point of failure with down pressure, but if you are looking at putting a plow on a 1500 down pressure is something to keep in mind as you will not be able to put that heavy of a plow.

As the others mentioned dealer support is key. See who is around and start from there. Save for that get the plow you want, learn to maintain it and keep spares.

15. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

Plow width

For me, the minimum width is determined by the wheel spacing. I want the blade to be long enough to at least cover the wheel tracks when the blade is fully angled. Otherwise, your tires will be packing down the snow on every pass.

16. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

I for one like the Western plows!! I have thei 8ft Pro plus, what more could you ask for? taller mold board, hbeavy duty main frame, heavy duty pivot bar, the plow is an animal! The wings go on and off in no time. You can get a back drag edge for it..but to be honest I had no problem back dragging last week when we had that big snow fall...
    But on the other hand my dad has the 8'6" Western MVP and he swears by that thing,...The V-blade is nice to have, and does things a straight blade just can't do..But for small lots and residentials I say an 8' would be the way to go...

17. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

have you considered the hiniker C plow? for backdraging it is my personal favorite. saves a lot of time

18. There will be no plowing with the 1500 GMC. It just gets sicker by the day. Gonna have to shoot it tomorrow at dawn I guess.

Next season it'll be a 3/4 or 1 ton, extended cab 4x4 pick up. PLow ? I dunno yet. Have to chew on that one. Whatever dealer is closest to the west side of Cincinnati I guess.