1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to break into the blower market

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 09dieselguy, Dec 4, 2012.

1. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

im very interested in to breaking into the blower market. around here we dont have a ton of snow but alot of city houses and blocks. i think that i could break into the market around a 5 mile radius and keep the tractor on that route. i could use it in the summer for personal use and some side work. it would be mostly for snow.

how would you break into a market with mostly older group of people. i currently do not do any residential. just commercial properties that i have landed from other companies. never had any complaints and customers are all very pleased with my work.

i wouldnt mind picking up some residential accounts but my truck isnt really best suited for them being to long and big plow.

what is the best? i just simply dont have time to go door to door. signs in general areas advertising? i havent broke into the residential market in this area yet. had a route in a northern area but tougher market here then up north.'

what has worked the best for you folks? also able to do landscape and fencing jobs.

btw this will be for next winter season. how ever i can still pick up some accounts this season.
  2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Try doing a "Season Greetings" bulk mailing to the targeted area, it's not to expensive, try signs but unless you have the landowers permission they'd probably take them down.
  3. 09dieselguy

you see the thing is i have a very large group of houses in between 2 citys. the way the citys are laid out is kinda weird but i can be to the next town in 5 minutes in my truck. very very large clump of houses there. that being said i could make it across the mass of houses in about 10 minutes in a tractor. im not to worried if there is a little bit of drive time between properties. i just think it would be way to much of a hassle to send out a ton of cards to that area. i may be wrong, not to sure. thats why im looking for options and thoughts on how to get into that market for next year.

im going to be going into business with a good friend of mine on the side as well. i would like to pick up some lawn accounts as well in the same service area. in this area we are over populated with small hill rod companies and people who think they can provide good work for cheap prices. im looking for a name that will stand out and attract customers to call and find out what it is that were doing.

im considering a few of the following. any input would be helpful please.

all seasons maintenance
    superior property work's
    tri city properties
    all season properties
    cutting edge properties
  4. 09dieselguy

Any one else?
  5. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Try the "switching to a snowblowing service" thread...
    Lots of answers and followers. You might have a easier time getting info.
  6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

word of mouth for a job well done is the best advertisement, plan and start small and see how it catches on...i have a friend willing to pay 50 a trip for a snowblower and not a plow...even the young guys needing work don't want to due it around here....he does not want the piles of snow and tore up lawns
  7. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

how about piles of snow without a torn up lawn?
  8. 09dieselguy

dont you have anything better to do?
  9. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

mass mailer with the USPS - also knon as the " every door mailer"... we just did one for the holiday lighting... lots of work on your end breaking down the mailers into routes etc.. but also very cheap, and we had a great response from it....in your situation I would creat a postcard saying exactly what you will be doing and a price for the generic driveway then mass mail it...
  10. 09dieselguy

I will be checking into such items!! I like the sounds of it. What did it run you for say 5000 post cards or what ever you sent out?
  11. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

I sent out 4500 postcards ( there are certain size requirements so make sure you check out all of the regulations on their website)... cost me $250.00
    whats awesome is you pick and choose the individual carriers route that you want to mass mail to...you make a package for each carrier of either 50 or 100 cards each ( if a carrier has 250 stops in his route and you did 50's then you would have 5 groups of 50...) then when he does his route he grabs your stack 50 at a time and drops them in every mailbox he goes to with the regular mail... sweet setup USPS really has done a good job with this.
  12. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

the cards paid for separately?
  13. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Pretty sure you provide the postcards.