1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to break in a new edge?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by shep28, Feb 4, 2014.

1. shep28

shep28 Member

How do you break in a new cutting edge?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

On your 1st night out plowing will wear it in fast.

3. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Go plow!!!!!!!!

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Step 1: Make sure new cutting edge is mounted securely to plow
    Step 2: Take truck out of garage and find a safe place to drop the blade where you wont hit any other vehicles, pedestrians or obstacles
    Step 3: Drop the blade onto the road and drive back and forth until the paint is worn off the bottom edge

Seriously now, there is no special break in procedure for a cutting edge. Just find some snow and push it. The road will do the rest. I have been breaking mine in for three years now.

5. shep28

shep28 Member

My old edge started to wear in the middle- looked like a slight frown. Had it on the truck for three years. The new edge was freaking loud and chattered when I hit my drive tonight after the install, which was a pain. Just wanted to make sure this was normal. Had to cut off the old bolts with a grinder in 22 degree garage after breaking two sockets and an adapter trying to break the map gas heated bolts. Storm bearing down on northeast Ohio tonight. 8-12 inches.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

find a nice smooth asphalt road.
    raise the shoes
    speed up to 30-40mph
    drop the plow.

go 1/4 mile
    stop raise plow
    take a look is the squareness worn off to a edge yet
    yes, your done
    no, repeat,

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If your old edge wore unevenly u need to check your a-frame to see that it is parallel with the ground. U didn't say if it's uni or ultra but either way if the a-frame is not straight it will wear the outside faster than the center. V-plows r even more sensitive and will wear both wings edges round.

8. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Sounds like it might be time to buy some better tools. A good tool will break a heated bolt before it breaks itself.