1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to bid on just the spreading of salt NOT buying it/spreading it

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by mikeplowman, Aug 26, 2011.

1. mikeplowman

mikeplowman Senior Member

i have been searching and cant find exactly what im looking for.

i am bidding on a parking lot that is 516,000 sq ft (about 12 acres). the customer is buying the salt and sand (bags) and just wants me to bid on the spreading of it. im figureing it will take around 170 bags(8,500 lbs), give or take, to salt the lot. my question is do i charge per bag or per ton or per hour on just the spreading of salt and sand? in in the north chicagoland area if that helps

thank drivers:waving:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Why are you/they not buying it in bulk?

3. mikeplowman

its a menards lot and they ARE BUYING IT NOT ME

4. grandview

Why are they not buying it in bulk? So instead of paying less the 300.00 each time for bulk they want to spend over 800.00 each time.

5. mikeplowman

i know right. im just going to let them shoot their foot. i talked to the store manager and he told my bags and i made him repeat what he said. he said bags!

im thinking i got 170 bags at 50lbs a bag thats 8500lbs = 4.25 tons
    do i charge $xxx per ton or $xxx per bag , or hourly
    i think hourly wouldnt be good for me, right?

at $2 a bag = $340 or $80 ton
    at $3 a bag = $510 or $120 ton
    at $4 a bag = $680 or $160 ton
    at $5 a bag = $850 or $200 ton
    and so on....

6. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

I personaly charge per bag plus an application fee. It works well for me but it also changes on the size of the lot. I have friends who figure the price per pound and charge a little extra per pound for theyre fee.

7. grandview

Since your not making any money on the salt you need to bump up the per app. cost. Since they are probably only paying 2 bucks a bags. you'll have over an hour just opening bags.

8. mikeplowman

true. thats also what i figured "not making $$$ on salt, have to bump up app. fee" but i forgot about opening every single bag. blah.....

this bid is for salt and sand.. but its all the same to me since im only spreading it not buying it

what would you guys do/charge?

9. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

thats a good point i didnt think about that. lol id at least charge an app fee and make sure u add that time to it.

10. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

what kind or how big i guess is ur spreader

11. mikeplowman

it sounds like my back is going to get a work out this winter

12. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

hope your a young man lol

13. mikeplowman

well im looking to get a new spreader..so i dont know yet but its got to spread salt AND sand

14. mikeplowman

i am 26 years young!!! :)

15. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

ya that is young, oh to be that young again hell i had 16years in plowing at that age

16. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

The Menard lots go real cheap. Oh, and they are know for paying slow. Around here they change companies almost every season.
    Move on!

17. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Price it just like you would if you were buying the product, then subtract the accual product cost

18. mikeplowman

@grandveiw
    ive seen ur name pop up on alot of threads and it seems like you know ur stuff. thanks for the help and GREAT profile pic ;)

19. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Amen to that! Don't even mess with them! Just do a search here and you'll see their funny ideas on snow and ice control have been discussed many a time. I much prefer shopping there over home cheapo, but that's one area they get it very wrong!

20. grandview

That's because I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night!:rolleyes: