1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to Bid jobs

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Racer 28S, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Racer 28S

Racer 28S Junior Member

Is there a calculation or a formula for bidding properties, there has to be a better way then just looking and guessing.

2. starc

starc Senior Member

I look and guess, the condo complexes I do are never the same nor are they any sort of regular shape. Also because I am responsible for city walks, common walks, driveway and front steps...the sizes and shapes of these also mater. There probably is a formula for square or rectangle lots with no obstacles. Depending on if there are curbs or other obstructions, again that would have an effect on pricing.

3. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Everyone has a certain way they bid jobs so your going to get quite a few different responces.My area most driveways are $25 so if you do the math thats $100/hr since a driveway for me takes less than 15 minutes to do.Try to add up fuel,insurance,cost of truck + plow and the wage I wish to get and divide by number of events per season and that number divided by number of accounts.Thats how I can tell how much each property needs to make me each year to be profitable.

The more accounts the less each property needs to bring in each season.

4. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Yes..............

5. starc

starc Senior Member

??????????? Eh'

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  6. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Commercial property - i measure it and figure out production rates for the equipement available. If its a monthly you can go online and get 10 year averages for snow falls so you can get a safe number of events per season.

7. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

I think most guys around here "look and guess" Thats why bids for the same property range from $15,000 to $80,000. Way too many guys without a clue getting into a market that they dont belong, with property managers that dont check insurance and references.

8. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

Amen procut1. I lost a bid because someone under bid me by $300. I don't know how the hell they'll make any money on it.

9. starc

starc Senior Member

I don't mean in that sense, I'm not an idiot. My looking and guessing come with years of experience. I don't see the point of spending half a day doing and estimate when I can drive through and come up with the same price in 2 minutes....Most property managers here require, insurance, references, equipment list etc, atleast the ones I work for. I actually do high end condos, the cheapest unit in the places I work in sell for 550,000 to 700,000

10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

It really helps to have some experience under your belt, I look at a new bid and say to myself, well this is similar to that other property that took 40 minutes so I'll bid .....?

Measuring things off help, for example I know I can cover 100' of sidewalk in 30 seconds, so with my 21" blower I'll make 3 passes and it should take 2 minutes tops.

I know with my 8' plow and wings I can plow 1 acre in about 35 minutes.

Salting 1 acre can use 11-18, 50lb bags of salt or more, just depends.

Sorry, no real formula