1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to best deal with snow then ice then rain then snow??? LOL!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnboy11, Jan 31, 2011.

1. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Hey guys,

Question for this storm (2/1)....for doing residentials with blowers and shovels (no plows)

If we get 2-4 of snow and then ice on top of that would it be wise to wait until the ice is all done and try to clean it up so there is a layer of snow between pavement and ice?

Or...should i try to keep up with snow as usual (I start route once there are a few inches and just keeeeeep going to end of storm). This way the snow wont be sponge and weigh tons or turn to ice itself also. Hmmmmm.......will be a game time decision I'm sure, but what are your thoughts and plans for this one?

I'm thinking just keep going around and salting in betweeen visits. idk, we'll see i guess!

good luck w/ this sheeeet storm

2. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

Id start clearing the snow when you normally would. When you finish clearing the snow, salt it heavily. Some of the early accounts you do, you might need to clear snow off of twice in which case i would wait to salt until after the second one. Let the ice storm pass, shouldnt accumulate that much since there is salt. If it turns back to snow then clear again and salt. If the snow doesnt accumulate just check all the properties again and spot salt anything that needs it.

3. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

That's what I'm thinking too...
    Sometimes when I approach it this way though I worry that after I get the snow off that the ice alone would be harder to deal with than if it had snow to sit on top of so a blower could chomp through it..know what I mean! But I have plenty of ice melt and am out the door now to get more- maybe enought for a few more storms as it might all be sold by mid week! Yikes- could be crazy....could turn to heavy rain here too though! thanksfor your reply

4. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

Plow, then treat, then chill for a little bit, then plow, then treat again

5. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Your usually better off waiting until the icing is over to clear the snow. let it ice over the snow so you can clear it all at once instead of letting the ice bond to the pavement( unless you treat it.) In NJ we are supposed to get snow early through the morning on tuesday then a lull in between storms until wednesday. so ill be forced to plow the snow then wait until the next event because its too long of a gap in time between storms. im thinking about salting the crap out of all of my driveways after i plow on tuesday to try and prevent ice accumulation, its going to be a tricky one, damn ice.:rolleyes:

6. SullivanNursery

SullivanNursery Junior Member

I think we are going to plow after the snow storm, then treat the parking lots and keep after them during the freezing rain. These types of storms are a pain..