1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to bench test E47 motor

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by FrFtr28, Nov 18, 2010.

1. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

This is probably a simple question to answer but I can't seem to find an answer after searching. What is the simplest way to test a motor for the E47 to make sure it works?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A battery and a set of jumper cables will tell you if it spins, won't tell you if it's actually good though. Need to have it installed on the pump and do an AMP draw test for that.

3. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

I know where to hook up the positive cable, but what about the negative? The post is on the pump housing itself, so can I just touch the negative cable to the motor housing or just any ground?

4. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

clip the negative wire onto anything you can on the pump body. i.e. run the bolts through with a nut on the other end (must be done anyways in order to keep the motor from flying apart when you test it) and hook the wires to that.

5. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

I tried an old motor and couldn't get it to spin so I figured it was bad. Today, I received a new motor. I connected the positive cable to the post on the motor and the negative cable to the post on the bottom of the pump body on the back. I then touched the other ends of the cables to the posts on the battery, respectively. There was no sound or movement from the motor, so apparently I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you clean any corrosion buildup from the motor mounting surface on the pump before installing the new motor? It requires a good contact there to receive good ground.

Did you spin the pump shaft by hand before installing the new motor? Did it spin easily?

7. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

I did make sure the pump shaft turned easily, but I didn't check for corrosion. I will try cleaning that area tonight after work.

Thanks for the help!

8. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

I cleaned up the housing the motor sits in and the area where the negative cable connects to on the pump house with steel wool. That seemed to do the trick. Once I touched the cables to the battery the motor spun. Now comes the easy part of running all the wires. :dizzy:

Thanks again for the tip!