1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to beef up suspension? 89 F250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Bill645, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Bill645

Bill645 Junior Member

Looking to beef up the front end of my truck. I have a meyers straight blade. Everything is stock on the truck.

I'm of putting a set of Timbrens on the front. Is there anything else I should do?
    The truck only has 75k on it and is in excellent condition. Maybe some better springs? Shocks are Gabriel....should theses be beefed up?
    Steering stabilizers?

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My 89 has been a plow truck it's whole life. It has a 4 spring husky plow on it. The leaf springs have held up well. Expect to change ball joints and tie rod ends in the future.
    If you plow alot they last about 30k between replacements.
  3. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

beef up how?

for springs you could get a add a leaf for levling the truck or full replacement ones.

for steering and balljoints stick with Dana/spicer or Moog.

U-joints definately stick with Dana/Spicer lubed for life u-joints for the best strength in a stock joint.

You could get chromoly axle shafts but i would say that is a little much for your needs :p
  4. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Stiffin Up!

:waving: I think that our on the right track a set of Timbrens and a set of heavy duties shocks and you'll be fine.

Pale Rider :gunsfiring:
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Buy the OEM or better replacement parts for drive train and suspension. Don't buy the cheap stuff places like AutoZone will sell you. If you live near a major city they will have a truck parts dealer somewhere. Most medium / heavy duty truck part dealers will have Dana / Spicer parts in stock for your truck believe it or not. At a price about a 2/3"s what FORD will rape you for.Take U-joints with you and match them up,most computer systems have it wrong.Most times axles / shafts have the same U-Joint # involved each.
    Buy good shocks without plastic boots on them, boots just help them to rust out / fail quicker.
    Like I said an 89 will hold up well,just don't over load it constantly.