1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to adjust your trip springs

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by snowplowpro, Sep 3, 2013.

1. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

I was wondering how do you know when your trip springs need adjusting and how do you adjust them to make sure there all the same .
    I had to remove one to change it and was wondering do all the eye bolt threads have to be exactly the same .
    is there a diagram or something to go off of.:drinkup:Thumbs Up

7.6 unimount 4 spring

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I like to be able to slide a piece of paper between the 3&4 row on the springs

3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Western's website tells you exactly how to accomplish what you are asking. It's good practice to review your particular plow and it's maintenance / owner's manuals from time to time. Lots of good info there.

Here is what mine reads as...

5. Trip Spring Adjustment
    To adjust trip spring tension, adjust the eyebolts
    located at the top of the blade.
    • Loosen the locknut (nut closest to the spring).
    • Tighten the adjusting nut (nut furthest from the
    spring) until the coils begin to separate. When
    tension is properly adjusted, a sheet of paper
    should pass between the second and third coils.
    • Tighten locknut.

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I like slide a playing card between each coil

5. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I grab hold of the top of the moldboard and pull forward. If I can move it with my weight, they're too loose.

Assuming you have a full trip moldboard that is.

6. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

im gonna try this thanks guys

7. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

BTW, I have tried the paper trick and have had many a plow spring too loose, that's why I use my method.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I just hit them with hammer etc... If they thud they need tightining. If not then ill try the pull method as mentioned.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Don't use one piece of paper use the instruction manual a couple coils from the top end. If it requires mulch more than that the springs are shot.

Springs do not last forever they lose their apply to apply tension. Tightening them really isn't an answer as they have lost strength all the way though their travel cycle and will eventually snap.