1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How To Add The Walks Into My Quote???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scottmcherry, Feb 20, 2008.

1. scottmcherry

scottmcherry Junior Member

My Partner And I Have A 288 Unit Condo Complex That We Plow And Salt. It's A Very Good Contract To Us, Now The Management Wants Us To Add The Community Walks To The Job. We Already Snow Blow The Courtyards And Walks To The Front Door--these Common Walks Run All The Way Through The Complex To Connect The Two Sides. I Just Got Done Measuring And It Comes To 4890' Of Blacktop Walks That Are 6' Wide. They Want A Price To Clear These Every Time We Plow And Also A Separate Price For Salt. I Just Walked The Entire Walk In 27 Minutes.n I Am Considering Using A 500 Polaris Atv With A 6' Blade And A Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader For The Salt. Bidding The Small Entrance Walks To The Door Is Easy But I Need Help Bidding A Walk This Big. Also I Deal Only In Bulk Salt So I Have No Idea On The Coverage Of Bagged Rock Salt Or What It Would Take To Salt Something Like This!!! Any Help On This Would Be Great--i Want To Keep The Job But Obviously Don't Want To Shoot Myself In The Foot!!
  2. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Thats a lot of walkway. How many events a year? What is the average snow fall?
  3. scottmcherry

10-12 snows a year 2-4" on average

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Estimate your time appropriately for the depth totals.

Average out the difference and charge a set fee for each occurrence.

This way you will make the same for the small 1 inch or the larger 6+.

I would not use regular rock or bulk salt.

You should go with something that is grass and landscaping plant safe product.
  5. scottmcherry

What Would You Use? Calcium Chloride Or Some Type Of Blend? And Do The Bags List The Coverage Or Do Any Of You Guys Know The Sq Foot Coverage Per Bag? Like I Said I'm Thinking About Doing It With An Atv. I Figure I Got A $20 Hr. Guy On The Machine And He Should Be Able To Do It In About 20 Min Plowing And Probably 20 For Salt. I'm Thinking $550 To Clear The Walks--does This Sound To High? And Should I Include Salt In That Price?
  6. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I would use the quad and a 4' or 5' straight blade angled off to one side and drive a down and back to clear it. I would charge $.02 per foot. That is $1,270 for a 12 event season not encluding salt. I would keep the sidewalk clear and not use salt. If ice builds up, you can either salt it or remove it by hand.

That is around $100 to do all most a mile of sidewalk. At 10 mph it will only take you 15 minutes.

It would take you 2 hrs to use a snow blower at 1mph to do a down and back. You could take your hourly rate time those 2 hours and get a cost to do the job with the quad.

You can tell them you are only going to charge .0033 cents per square foot.

$100 per push is what I would charge and not use salt.
  7. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Is there good turf on either side of this walk? If so, and you DO use an ice melter, you are going to want to use landscapers Choice. It is quite a bit mre than most other products, but not as expensive as sod and labor.
  8. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I agree with QuadPlower,
    Minimum $1200.00 more like $1495.00 no salt. I would do salting on a per bag price.