1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How tight to make chains on pusher?

Discussion in 'Pro-Tech Sno Pushers' started by RLS, Dec 7, 2011.

1. RLS

RLS Junior Member
    from Alberta

Hi guys,

Bought a new 14' protech snow pusher (IST) for our JD 544J. We've used it once so far and its awesome! Very happy with the purchase.

Only question I have right now is how tight should the chains be that hold the pusher on the bucket? I drilled a hole in the side of the bucket and put eye bolts on each side. Then attached a chain from the pusher to the eye bolt and tightened it up with a boomer. Both eye bolts broke as we used the pusher (they were cheap eye bolts so i'm not surprised that they broke). I am curious though if we should leave a little slack in the chains or tighten them right up?

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Tight. Your best bet would be to weld on some heavy duty D rings on either the side or rear of the bucket. I got some last year from Tractor Supply, I think they were rated at 12,000lbs. and they were only like 10 bucks a piece. We attached with ratcheting tie downs and chain.
  3. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

They can be tight, but a bit of play doesn't hurt, as the chain will want to move as the box and bucket move over bumps and so on.

One site I ran a 644 and never chained the box, way too much backdragging, so drove in, used the box, need to back drag? Stop, back out, and drag with the bucket, and away we go again.
  4. RLS

RLS Junior Member
    from Alberta

Great thanks guys. I think I'll go the D ring route...
  5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

a little loose helps if you find a curb, it allows the box to slide.....tight if you want to backdrag with it
  6. RLS

RLS Junior Member
    from Alberta

I went ahead and welded grab hooks......time will tell now how good my welding is! :)