1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how tight on packing nuts?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Jay brown, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i had a packing nut come off last year. just checking them tonight and noticed that i had four loose ones (one was leaking out). how tight should these be? i put moderate pressure on them using a 20" pipe wrench. i don't want to overtighten.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

snug

you can crank them down pretty snug , sorry it's a kind of a feel what kind of plow do you have , if it is a spring return blade it's to tight if it stop's the blade from returning completely to rest .

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

the four that were loose were on two unimounts

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

UNIMOUNT ARE SUPPOST TO LEAK!!!!!!!!. Its how it lubricates its gaskets in the the packing. They should leave just the tiny-est amount of fluid. I see more guys destroy cylinders and pumps by cranking them packing nut down as tight as you can. The ultramounts cylinders can be extremely tight. But the unimounts cylinders just have to be snug.