1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how the hell do i fix this?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 91AK250, Dec 30, 2008.

1. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

allrighty, so we're having a nice cold snap right now..the truck has sat over night in -25* temps...when its below 10* the ignition gets very hard to turn/sticky.

well today it finally snapped, its been loose for years also..so its time i suppose.

so how the hell do i replace the ignition on a '91 f-250 auto? i suppose i'll need new keys..they come with it i suppose?'

kinda lost here
  2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

can you insert the key and turn it to the run position? Look under the steering column where the key is you will see a hole in the plastic cover if you push the pin inside with a paper clip or pick of some sort then you should be able to pull the switch out. if you cant get to the pin then pull the lower cover from around the steering column where the switch is located it should have only a few screws holding it on.
  3. 91AK250

i'll have to try and mess with it in the daytime..its -10 right now and getting colder by the second.

i had it running by jumping the started slinoid...

but it would not allow the truck into gear...now the chrome part where you put the key in broke off and its so loose it wont even go to the on position with the key.

soooo hopfully it will warm up here soon and i'll have to get the t-case into netrual and somehow get the plow off..and then somehow get it in the garage..hmm this should be interesting.

i hate the cold haha

thanks! i'll def take a look in the daylight.
  4. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

If what Repo stated, then yes you will be able to get a new ignition switch with new keys.
  5. RepoMan207

from Maine

The pin hole maybe located else where..and you may need to remove the column cover to get to it, It's been like 12 years since I did one. Here is photo to give you the bigger picture so to speak.

This is your actual cylinder.........

Keep turning the cylinder forward while pulling it toward you.....it should come right out. This is all on the condition you can actually turn the cylinder to the forward position. Otherwise, see your local locksmith.....or car thief. The later maybe cheaper.

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

There like $40 on the high side at the part store with keys.....

Try and get some neadle nose at it, or a drill and a flat head at worse case. If it comes to this...DON'T go too deep. use the photo as a guide, 3/4 of the way in with a drill bit is more then enough to get the job done. Good luck man.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  7. 91AK250

thank you so much! i'll give it a shot tomarrow when its alittle warmer (possible high temp of 0* yay me haha) and see what i can ind out..

god this site rocks and you Repoman rock!
  8. RepoMan207

from Maine

Let us know how you make out.....frost bite and all. :nod:
  9. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

the tumbler is a ez fix you can start the truck without the key follow the heavy gage wire 2 the ignition box its a slide switch she will start and drive
  10. 91AK250

i had the truck running, but it would not come out of park, some part of it thought the key was still off and wouldnt allow it to move.

now i can even start it because the igitio is so far gone it wont go into accy or the "on" position.

i'll def update once i get it fixed
  11. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

the key cylinder sticking is a secondary problem.
    the initial problem, the snap you heard was the ignition actuator cam breaking.
    the hint here is the stuck in park comment. you will have to disassembly the steering column to fix this. the part itself is cheap. only like $12 from ford dealer parts dept. the pain is replacing it. i have done so many of them, i can do one in about 2 hours now.
    the first time it took me 6 hours. you do not have to pull the column out of the truck, but if it is that cold, you may want to consider pulling the column and doing it inside.
  12. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

move south if you don't like the cold
  13. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I would agree with tjctransport on this one, those cams are a pain, there are just pot metal and break easy, I think I've done 3-4 of them, takes a little while and some patience.
  14. 91AK250

well after much debate..we decided we're going to have it towed to a friends shop and have him do it.

i'll get the plow off here soon once it warms up alittle bit. supposed to be -30 tonight..its currently -15 and dropping fast. high temp the next few days is -5 this is not wind chill temps btw.

once we get this fixed i'll update...it may be a bit though...luckly its not supposed to snow since we're in a deep freeze.