1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Stupid Is This!?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by VolvoL60F, Feb 8, 2011.

1. VolvoL60F

VolvoL60F Senior Member
    from Maine

2. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with it fully every tom dick and Harry has amber lights all over everything now from trash trucks to whatever the public no longer has any regard for amber it takes blue to get a reaction out of people

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Ditto........

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

excessive lights on trucks is gay.

5. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I maybe the minority no really I'm am the minority lol, but I agree with the article somewhat...way to many people drive with them on.

6. 02powerstroke

Dont get me wrong I have 2 grill lights a mini light bar and body lights in the rear, HOWEVER I plow city streets and when I'm off the clock the lights are off. I saw a dodge last snow storm that looked made a state police cruiser look like a auto-zone rotating light and its like why? my favorite part is he was plowing a parking lot...

7. DJ Contracting

The lot was probably closed too :)

8. VolvoL60F

VolvoL60F Senior Member
    from Maine

Its not that, if you have your lights on everyone is going to see them, no matter if its a DOT plow or just your pick up, no one is going to get used to the lights and not notice them, if you can't notice those bright lights your blind if it only takes blue for you to notice, you guys are missing the point of the story. Whoever watched the video next to the artical, the cop is a moron to.

9. 02powerstroke

Right and when it snows EVERY dump truck, town truck, landscaper, 2wd s-10 with a snow blower in the back has "lights" going people get numb to it. When every vehicle has lights what makes it stand out?

10. DJ Contracting

I just watched the video and still agree with the story, there is NO NEED for contractors to run from job to job with their lights on period.

11. busydaddy

busydaddy Junior Member

after coming through chicagos "snow emergency" on wed am. There were two clowns driving on the interstate with amber lights flashing and not even a plow harness on the truck. Ok if you are in a car but the strobes were at eye level in my tractor trailer. Common sense should be enough but too many stupid people with no sense. When plowing or in the case of an accident to make your self more visible ok but to travel from job to job i think the" off switch" should be used

12. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

For my guys its mandatory to use warning lights when in a lot. We take care of a lot of large properties with multiple corners, equipment to plow around such as semi trailers etc, and many of them have traffic at least 16 hours a day and some 24. They are also instructed to turn their warning lights off once they leave the job site. Unless, certain circumstances warrant leaving them on such as the blizzard we had last week. They were leaving them on for safety. Why would you increase your risk and run with no warning devises just because John Q public says he's used to warning lights?? So anyone run reverse alarms? I do, and guess what, If someone backed up over someone god forbid, at least you've done everything in your power to warn people. You'll get hung either way I'm sure but at least you made some sort of an attempt.

13. 02powerstroke

Were not talking about plowing.... people that just drive around with lights on. why do you needs lights on if not working? whats the point your driving a truck still smaller in every dimension than a semi or large dump truck. I understand running lights if you have a 10 wheeler with an 12ft highway plow plowing or not your taking up more than NORMAL, But all these trucks with 7.5ft-8ft 9ft whatever blades running around looking like a small carnival ride is more likely to cause an accident than anything else. I had a guy come at me last storm with 10 strobe light bar full corner strobes I almost drove into the woods being blinded....

14. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Agreed. There's a time and place for everything, and a time and place for blanket parties with some of these clowns.

15. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Ok, .
    Yes i am one of those guys with way to many lights on my truck that is frowned upon here from time to time.:rolleyes: hey its my truck ill do what i like.....

If i do run with my lights on from job to job its only with 1 light on, my mini pinnacle. it is mostly when the weather is bad, Heavy snow , heavy traffic etc.. I have noticed when my lights are on on the road, other drivers are more cautious, stay further back etc... This i like, it means they NOTICE me... So they are more careful.

Mostly everyone that plows around here runs with their lights on from job to job, I dont see a problem with it.

I have driven past plenty cops , been right next to them at the stop lights etc. Not once has anyone said anything to me, or anyone else i know.

Im not running stop lights or stop signs, i obey the law, yes there is a law that says you need a permit to run Amber's on the roads, but its not enforced.
    People do it when the weather is bad, not on a sunny 50 degree day.

I NOTICE flashing lights, it makes me aware of whats around, I believe it makes people more cautious. Thats just my thoughts..

16. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

No one around here shuts their lights off while theyre driving, its pretty annoying, I mean, whats it take to flip the switch.....1 second? maybe 2?

Correct me if im wrong, but if your on private property plowing, you can have whatever lights you want on, right? I have clear strobes, don't really care that they're illegal because I don't run them on the road.

17. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

you people and those cops are crazy if you think im going to flip my lights on and off each time i back into a street that i have 15-20 driveways on.

18. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

19. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

20. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

How's about trying the off switch when you are not actively working then? How are you different than any other vehicle on the road when you are not working? Your flashing light show is to stoke your own ego if you think you need to drive around from site to site with your warning lights on. What are you trying to warn people of when you drive from site to site? Your erratic driving behaviour? "Stay back, I'm armed with a plow and I know how to use it". Common sense is free out in the field, I suggest you flashing light show guys go and get some and start to use it. You are classified as NORMAL driving public when you are on a roadway or highway and you are not employed to be clearing or doing commercial activities on such a roadway or highway. A parking lot or place you are contracted to be working on, different story altogether.

You guys are a hazard and I don't care if your ego can't accept it. The day that you cause an accident from your flashing light show while on a roadway or highway is the day that the person in the accident sues your a$$ off, that is the day that your EGO just wrote a cheque for the other guy to cash. Do you think it will be worth it then?