1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How steep is it?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by i_am_chris, Aug 1, 2005.

1. i_am_chris

i_am_chris Junior Member

I'm sure there's some handy & expensive tool for measuring the angle of a driveway's slope...but is there an inexpensive way to do this as well? I figure I can make something out of a protractor, plumb line, level, and duck tape but maybe there's some easier way to measure the various angles of my driveway w/o getting into survey equipment, etc?

2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

go to any home improvment store and you can pick up an angle finder for $10-$20. this will be the easy way..

3. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

Put a piece of plywood (about 2' long by about 1' high), on the driveway at the point you want to check. Set a 2' level touching the driveway at the highest point, (level it) run a pencil under the level, take a protractor (even a cheap plastic kids model will do) measure the angle between the bottom edge and your pencil line.
    Why do you need this info?

4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

may i ask why you care?

5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

what is this why do you care why he is asking. especially after he just gave advice.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Chris, I looked through your other posts and if you're talking about that driveway you said is 1500' from bottom to top and if it's 500' on the vertical; then it would be a 30° grade (1/3 of a 90° angle'); 600' vertical would be 36°.

Calculation: 1500/500=3 90/3=30°. Substitute actual numbers.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  7. i_am_chris

i_am_chris Junior Member

Hiya,

I am curious about my terrain, more than anything. The driveway is not a constant pitch; either end is steeper than the driveway as a whole due to some unmovable geological features.

Cheers

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Actually this calculation is incorrect...

If the drive way is 1500' long and rises 500' over that distance the calculation would be

arcsin(500/1500)= 19.47 degrees

arcsin is the inverse of the sine function which in terms of a triangle is the opposite side over the hypotenuse.

Check this site out for more information: Trigonometry

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Ok, I stand corrected. But I think what he was looking for was a quick and easy method to calculate angle. BUT - I still made a mistake. I started using 45° instead of 90°, then changed it to 90°. I knew better, but it was early this morning, I'd just gotten up, wasn't thinking (or thought too much or whatever other excuse I can think of :blush2: ). Anyway, dividing 45° by 3 would have given 15°, which is close enough for what I thought he had in mind.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Someone got a chip on his shoulder this morning? Tsk Tsk from a mod! :nono: