1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how spread out are your customers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Acorn, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

I was wondering what is the distance limit to where you guys will take a regular contract? I try to keep everything as close to my place as possible (about a 1 mile radius) but I get tempted to go further for a commercial site. Obviously, the further it is the more they pay but I was just wondering if anyone refuses work because of distance. I've refused anything over 1 mile
  2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I constantly turn down work because it's not in my area.

I do travel quite a few miles out but I make sure to keep my customers in a big circle.
  3. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

How far

It all depends on if you have all the accounts you can handle. When I started out many yrs. ago I went as far as 30 miles for some 6+ acre lots but now all are very very close.;) I traded 2 lots for 1 with a guy who was doing the same as I, we both saved travel time & made the same $$$. :D

"I've refused anything over 1 mile"

I think you could spread out your wings ;) just a bit further.
  4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

All my commercials are within the same industrial park and my residentials are probably withing three to five miles of the com. and my house, so its not a terrible commute, but I too turn down work, ecpesially if it is accross town. The way people drive around here (plows included) i dont like to be on the roads any more than i have to.....:mad:
  5. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

all mine are roughly within a mile, the more time you spend traveling the less you money you make
  6. Ben

Ben Member

All of mine are within a mile of each other, but i do a funeral home every now and then that is 15 miles away but they pay good. payup
  7. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

no more than 3-4 miles
  8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I think from Erie PA, John Allin has about a 3000 mile radius.
    I personally have a 10 mile radius from my shop.
    So thats 20miles from edge to edge, but with 4-6 trucks depending on the event, each truck only has to cover 5 miles.
  9. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

All of our quickmarts, and drives are no more than 4-5 miles apart. I only have 1 account that is about 10 miles, and he is my accountant.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

my farthest account is probably 10 miles away from yard but i have a route that includes all the farther stuff in that area for one truck..it is similar even in a shorter radius i schedule a certain truck to an area and he does all there....I have driven up to an hour away for a one time deal when we have not had snow locally
  11. Acorn

I have traveled up to 23 miles as long as I could make money on it. I had to go right near there so it made me money. Most are with-in 12 miles, that is the nearest large town.

If they can wait, all the better. Maybe you can get a few more in that direction. When I can say "Yes", then catch them on my way to the parts store, thats great.

I agree with Ohio Snow, spread your wings just a bit further.

:eek: (John Allin could trim his down some). :D

Bob V
  12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If it's going to make me money, I won't turn it down. If you paid me enough, I'd come up to Canada and plow your drive. When I get someone in a new area, I start trying to get more in that area. Worked well in at least one instance. Last year, started with a very small drive ($15 push and that was mostly to cover gas for how far I had to drive). This year, added four drives and two private roads on each side of the it.
  13. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I have put some thought into that this year.
    I decided I will go up to ten miles but have put together a sliding cost scale.

I have quoted a couple ten miles away but havent heard back.

3-4 miles for me still.

I have traveled up to 2 Hours for sub or city work though.
  14. DanG

DanG Senior Member

From the shop about a 10 mile radius( total 20 edge to edge)

Just do them in a big loop. Starting with the biggest & most important then doing residentials.

15. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

I wouldn't make the trip yet lol... We've only had 1 plowable event so far.

It just kills me to pass 50-60 driveways or parking lots to get to my next one.

In an ideal world, the level of service would be the same for all contractors so the customer wouldn't care who did the job. That way we could all have a meeting and trade sites to keep travel time next to zero
  16. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Our routed snow and ice management work falls within 0-20 miles of our yard. Actually, it seems that when creating our bid, the customer will decide if you "can get" the work furthest from your shop. As long as adequate travel related costs associated with these distant snow management projects are factored in, and your reputation(customer perceived) is worth paying for ..................why not!

Then once the "distant" project is locked in, if you so desire, you can maximize the contract by teaming up with a local subcontractor to make the deal even more WIN/WIN!

There is always a way!

17. casey

casey Banned

All my res. drives that are no more than 5 min. apart max.

Most are clustered in the same sub-division or residential streets, side by each or a few doors down.

Only way to make serious $$$ doing res. Calls for drives that are more than 5 min. off the routes are refused.
  18. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We won't go to Europe.....

19. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

On average, it takes me 6 minutes to do and get to the next job which is great but I have some room on my route for a few more jobs. I have about 40 for my tractor and 30 for my truck
  20. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Way to go Mr. Allin....................

Thinking big and outside of your comfort zone.....It's the only way.

Thank you for the expanding industry benchmark!