1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How smooth for formerly rusty plowboard-bondo?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Flyboy77, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

Hello all! I bought my first plow(8'0" Western pro uni from ~1994 w/electric joystick) and a '96 F350 (88k miles, 460gas, 4x4, standard cab, SRB) and a hitch salt spreader(holds ~10 bags). I will be getting commercial w/plow insurance, already priced-WOW:eek:. I'm starting by subbing for a neighbor/friend who's had a small plow company for 10years. He has subd. and some lots and some driveways.

The plow isn't very worn(former cemetery owned), but had some rust on the front and back. I'm removing the rust and spray primer&painting(rattle can).
    My newb questions for the experts are:
    1. Should I bondo to get a smooth surface on the face of plow board over the rust pittings for smooth flow of snow off the plow or just get several coats of paint and put it to work?
    2. Will the plowboard flex too much and crack with bondo to make this a dumb idea? Most of the pitting is just above the (now new) 1/2" cutting edge.

Thanks for the great site and knowledgeable contributors! It is a true wealth of knowledge.Thumbs Up
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No. No point. You will wear the bondo right off. Remember it's a plow not a show car. Just get all the rust off, zinc primer and a few coats of paint and be done