1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How slow is too slow?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bstout, Nov 17, 2008.

1. bstout

bstout Member

My driveway is a half mile long dirt. We had over 100 inches of snow last year so my Boss Sport Duty got a good work out. I have no complaints at all with this blade.

We had one snow fall that left three foot plus deep drifts that were over 100 yards long. Fortunately my neighbor (who's a farmer) has a monster size farm tractor and he cut a path for me to work from. If I had to do the first trip through, I'm not sure I could have made it.

What's the best way to approach a situation like this? Most of the time I'm slow and steady. If I get stuck I can back out and try again.

Would I do better to try and maintain a higher speed while busting through long, deep drifts for the first pass? What happens if the snow is too deep for the plow? Is this where tire chains would be a big plus?
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

No, you don't want to attempt to burst through drifts like that. Your plow will ride above the snow and you'll just end up getting stuck. My dad used to let me plow our 1/2 long drive way when I was 12 and that's when I fell in love with plowing.

What you need to do is chisel away at it. Push some piles to each side and work your way through it. I'm sure 100 yards looks like a lot when you first start out but you'd be surprised at how fast you can get it done.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

On the really deep stuff take it slow and push a little bit at a time. Push it farther back to avoid the drifting when the wind blows too.
  4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I plow a long easment road ..For one plow the snow the direction the wind always blows..The other thing is to plow it often so the driffs don't build up so high..And push the snow as far as you can so have room for more...
  5. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

During the Valentines day blizzard in 07, we were working with 4' or so. I had some drives that I spent an hour in. Just take your time, start at the entrance and just take a half a blades worth and hook it off to the left, back up and take another half blades with and hook it off to the right. And slowly chip away at it. It WILL take some time, but its a lot easier on your truck and there is less of a chance of getting stuck.

As usual....JMO
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Also remember it takes longer to dig yourself out then it is to plow sometimes. Just chip at it and open it up then you can go back and widen the road.
  7. bstout

bstout Member

Great info guys! That's pretty much what I have been doing but I'm flying by the seat-O-my pants being a newbie and having one season (07) of experience.

No one commented on tire chains. My tires are getting worn down but I'd like to squeeze another winter out of them If I can. I'm wondering if they make some kind of mock tire chain (or tire chain) that would easily slip on and off quickly in a pinch? My guess is I would only need them on the front for a wet heavy deep snow.

One more question is I've been getting out of bed a couple of times through out the course of the night and going outside to see how deep the snow is when a blizzard is in the forecast. If It scares me enough I'll throw my clothes on and make a couple of runs up and down the driveway, then go back to bed for a few hours and do it again.

Is this normal?
  8. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

WHAT is NORMAL to do a comparison.....????????
  9. bstout

bstout Member

What I mean is do I have to keep a really close eye on a major blizzard? Have any of you ever been snowed in to the point where you had to call a bigger piece of equipment to get out?

Last year we had one particular storm where I couldn't even see where I had plowed on the way down on my way back. I could barely see anything. Luckily it didn't last but what if it had? When it fills up as fast as you can move it out, what can you do?

Go back in the house, wait it out and hope you can chisel your way out afterwards? What can I expect as a worst case scenario. I don't know what happens when it's time to call for help. What does the vehicle/plow start doing when it gets border line where it's barely handling it?

Would tire chains be of any help when it really gets tough or not. I don't have any steep hills. My half mile long driveway is pretty much level terrain.

Last year I may have been a little too vigilant or maybe not. I plowed every 3 or 4 hours until the storm let up. Is this what a person normally does?
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's the fun of snow plowing .now picture that storm and you have a dozen lots to get done! If your in no hurry you can do either every couple hrs or wait til the snow stops . Just take your time. If you get stuck and need someone to get you out it maybe a day or two til someone can get there.
  11. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

If you lookin for "normal" anything at all you came to the wrong place lol :)
  12. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

As far as the chains go, I actually use them pretty often. A good set of chains with snow picks. With you and your driveway, id use them often, especially if you arent travelling anywhere else.

To date, ive never been caught with the snow getting so deep that I couldnt get out. Im not saying it cant happen, but you will be up long before it gets that deep. Why are you getting up to plow a couple passes? If its just to check the snow depth, just make sure you have a bare spot on your deck railing before you go to bed and check that every couple hours.

13. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

We dont get that kind of crazy feet of snow up here. 18" dump is monster. If you run a business plow with the storms. You plow when you got 4 or 5 inches. Or whatever. if it needs it again you do it again, and again. Some business may want you to plow a drive path through lots if need be. One day you can bill 2-3 snow plows. better to service everyone throughout the night then to wait and only get to a few before 9am because the lots take 3x's longer than usual. JMO
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:confused: What would billing commercial accounts have to do with a homeowner asking questions about plowing his personal 1/2 mile long driveway? Sorry, not following you.
  15. bstout

bstout Member

Can you recommend a brand name or model number of tire chains and should they go on all four or just the front tires?
  16. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

What is there not to follow?:confused:

B&B, You seem to bring negativity to many posts around this site. What is your deal?

Maybe he plows for some family or friends if they need it? Or maybe one day he might get into the business? You don't know what he does. He only asked about his driveway. Which sounds like his problem area. I gave him good advice either way. "Plow with the storm."
  17. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

LOL - If this was sarcasm, I apologize for it going over my head. But in case you weren't kidding, you need a big dose of STFU.

The guy you're calling out has 6,000 posts and 5,500 of those are ones where he's helped people out with their problems. Please tell me, what have you ever done? :confused:
  18. bstout

bstout Member

There is one detail about my half mile long driveway I forgot to mention. There are nice deep ditches on both sides of the driveway. This is way different than plowing a level parking lot. If I get anywhere near the edge of the driveway, the ditch will suck me in.

Once I'm kitty wampass at an angle over the edge, none of the wheels will grab and I can't back out. So I have only two directions I can travel...forward or backwards as long as I'm not anywhere near the edge and at an angle. After a huge blizzard I'm not exactly sure where the "edge" is.

You guys are right. This is sorta fun! :D
  19. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I hope you are wearing a flame suit here. B&B is one of the most respected members on this site who will help anyone here whether it is a plow or truck issue. Chances are even you will be helped someday or gain from his knowledgable posts.

I think you need to do a little more reading here to figure this out on your own. Chances are pretty good that you have confused him with another member. IMO
  20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Confused or not, if you ever need to get your blade or truck fixed, I would not piss B @ B off, he's the most knowledgable and easy going person on this site.