1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Slow Can Your Plow Go!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snow Picasso, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

I just recently purchased a Chevy 3/4 ton with a Fischer Plow on it. The blade works but it's really slow!Had it serviced but nothings changed. I also have a Western Plow on another truck and that thing is fast!! Anyone have an idea what my be the problem might be. I'm not to familiar with Fischer plows.I tried to take off the ground wire to check connection,but was afraid that I was going to strip it! Thanks, PicassSnow

2. RON66106

RON66106 Member

Most of the valve body's have a set screw to adjust the speed. i am not sure where it is no your plow. you should be able to speed it up.someone on here will surely be able to help you. Ron

3. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Is it hydraulic or electric hydraulic?

4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

That called a quill and it only effect rate of drop for blade. If hydraulics are sluggish you need to do a pressure check on pump first to see what is going on. If pump is good ceck for clogged filter in reservor or a weak motor.

5. NU-Plowr

NU-Plowr Member

Is there a way to set the drop rate for the western? Mine handles well, just drops like dead weight.

6. RON66106

RON66106 Member

Sorry my mistake I haven't dealt with electric for several years. :salute:

7. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

For the heck of it did you look at the angle rams? maybe one is bent.How is the battery and alt on your truck?

8. NU-Plowr

NU-Plowr Member

never mind my question, found the quill.

9. mole

mole Senior Member

My plow is so slow, it hasn't moved for almost two months.

10. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

My Blizzard is rather fast. It has an adjustable knob to control the dropping speed of the blade. I like this feature as I dont like my to slam my equipment if at all possible!! :nono:

11. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Sell the Fisher as scrap metal and get a Western ! :drinkup:

12. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Interesting being that they are both made by the same parent company and differ only in moldboard and hitch design. Also Western uses Fisher trip edge design on its Vee plows.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004