1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how should I set up my skid steer?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by amars415, Sep 28, 2008.

1. amars415

amars415 Member

I've got a 2000 jd 240 skid steer and I am wondering what the best setup will be for doing snow. I think I am going to start just using the bucket for the begining of the year for money reasons, but should I get a strait blade or a pusher or kage system or what? The skid steer is about 6300lbs. How wide of a blade or pusher should I get? Thanks

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

What are you going to be using it for?

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

a bucket is okay for small drives and for pushing piles back, but for commercial you'll want a 9-10' straight blade with wings..... if you have a long way to push you'll want 2 skids side by side with straight baldes or a 8-10' pusher.

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

9-10' staight blades might be a little big same for a 10' pusher i would get a 8' blade and put 12"wings on it then when you get the wet heavy stuff you can take the wings off if necessary

5. amars415

amars415 Member

thanks for the replies. i will be using if for condo sets and senior house areas where the driveways are too tight for trucks. I will need to back drag with it near garage doors so if i did get a pusher it would have to have that back drag edge on it. I was thinking of going with only a 7' plow because friends of mine say that skid steers do not push very well. Do you think I could go with an 8' pusher and have enough traction? 240 jd = 51hp 6300lbs
    Thanks!

6. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

i think heat would be a good idea:nod:

7. Eddie D

Eddie D Member

We use an 8' pretech on the same model and year machine and it works great. I have video of it put I dont know how to post it.

The machines breaks traction enough with the 8' so I perssonaly wouldnt go with a 10'.

Hope this helps.

8. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

Go with a pusher. It is a smaller investment than the plow and easier to maintain.

9. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

8' protech with a backdrag kit. Its the best investment you will ever make.

10. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

just wondering what the backdrag kit is composed of??

11. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

2 Brackets, a piece of heavy angle stock and an edge. A good fabricator could make one up right quick, and for less then the 7-8 hundo they get at Protech or Avalanche.

12. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

Run chains on the back axle of the skid and you can put bout anything on the front of it!

13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Put chains on it and get an old 8' or 9' plade with hydrolic angling and fab it up it to hook to the front of you skidsteer.

14. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

You can find an old plow and set it up to run on the skid for under a grand. I've built a ton of skid plows for lots less than a new pusher.

15. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I would agree a plow in situations like this would kick some tail. Not knocking the pusher but in lots of driveway situations it is sure nice to be able to back drag and push it off to the side of the drive or just be able to angle a plow which you can't do with a pusher.

16. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I do bigger lots and really like a pusher box on mine, but I weigh a bit more wih a little more power. 90XT I have no problems with a 10' and can push all the way to the pile 250+ yrds, unless it is very wet snow. Don't go bigger than an 8' if you asked me

17. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

The kage system looks nice and it is the best of both worlds.

18. Kristin Stephan

Kristin Stephan Sponsor

I would say before you make any decision do the research on the products. Generally speaking you get what you pay for. Something may cost a little more initially but in the long run it pays off.