1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How should I haul my atv

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dschmaus, Dec 5, 2006.

1. dschmaus

dschmaus Junior Member

ATV hauling in the Snow.

I have a 98 f250 (no plow) I picked up 14 driveways this year. Already owned a yamaha grizzly with a snow plow (used on my personal driveway). I just assumed I would be loading into the back of the truck with some ramps but saw on another post that someone was pulling a enclosed trailer with his atv in there. So the question. I have a 6x12 single axle trailer I can use. How safe is it pulling around with snow on the roads? The ramps seem like a pita to with the snow.. Any thoughts

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

when its snowing Ii wouldnt pull a thailer around unless you ablsolutley have to. if it will fit in the bed of your truck i would i would put it there.
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Pulling a trailer that size in the snow you really won't notice anything different.

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

you should have thought about this be for you picked up the 14 accounts. just my thoughts
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

I don't think I've ever seen a big quad in the back of a truck with a plow on it. I wouldn't want to load and unload 14 times either in a snowstorm. If I absolutely had to I would build a custom 60" wide ramp that goes in my 2" reciever and then folds up, no way in hell I would use planks for that job. Any chance of shooting around without the truck to plow them?
  6. Elwer

Elwer Senior Member

If you could of, or would want to, i would just drive it to the driveways if they are close. But if you wish not to do that, i would just haul it around on your trailer, instead of risking it on some wood planks. Thats how I'm goin to do it when my blade is on my atv.
  7. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

8. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

those look like awsome ramps a lil pricey but I might have to pick a set up for my wheelers.
  9. KCB

KCB Senior Member

With the plow on the ATV you have to put it in back wards ie. back it up the ramps because the plow wont fit between the wheel wells.
  10. KCB

KCB Senior Member

11. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

With the angle of the ramps, I don't think you could pull it on with the plow installed. I think you'll have the same problem pulling it off at the bottom, if you were lucky enough to get it backed on in the first place. I guess it all depends on the height of your tailgate and length of your ramps. I pulled my Brute Force 750 and plow in a 6x12 trailer last winter behind my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Once! I would not recommend that to anyone. It's more like the trailer "pushed" the Jeep around. It's fine on dry roads, but in snow it's completely different. If you have a heavier truck that's 4x4, you should be just fine. I'll probably use the F450 this winter and I won't even know its back there. Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  12. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Build a platform inthe bed of yor trusk for the ATV and plow. Slide the ramps under the platform.
  13. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I pull my bobcat around in the snow with my 4x4 dually. I rarely ever have to use 4x4. Usually only if it is icy under the snow or snow deeper than 6 inches that hasn't been plowed yet. I do carry a pallet of salt in the truck and load the skidloader slightly tongue heavy. I plan on pulling our quad with blade this year in the snow with a 78 Chevy 4x4. I built a custom trailer that started life as a 3 rail motorcycle trailer. Good luck.
  14. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Wonder how long 14 driveways will take with a 4 or 5 foot blade?
  15. SnowGuy73

Ah come again....lol j/k
  16. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

drive that thing around in the snow no one will bother you bundle up and itll be fun too
  17. dschmaus

dschmaus Junior Member

About 10 minutes a driveway... I do my own which is about 150 yards long... Nothing to it...

Im leaning towards hawling it in the trailer...
  18. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

My first year doing snow I had a F350 flatbed dually (not 4x4) with 12' stake body and no ballast, i pulled a 6x12 single axle open trailer with a Toro 2 stage 7hp snowthrower and 46" snowthrower mounted on my Exmark Turf Tracer walk behind, parked everything on the front and it was not too bad, try to run some ballast in the truck and if its 4x4 you'll be fine i never really got stuck but had to use some sense on deep unplowed side streets... As for braking, just drive reasonable and don't go fast, you'll be juuuusssttt fiiiiiiinnnee.................... trust me lol its not a big deal with a 3/4 ton truck even if its 2wd throw about 500# of weight or more if ya like...it'll go anywhere you need. Oh and decent tires..
  19. SnowGuy73

O come on, what is that with a half inch of powder?
  20. topdog

topdog Member
    from indiana

i put mine on a little trailer also. way too hard to load it with ramps with the plow on. plus you can't see behind you to back up, so you have load and unload it a lot. i just feel safer with it on the trailer.