1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Should I Handle This, Help Please!! Sorry so long

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by TurfSolutionsMN, Oct 10, 2009.

1. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

This winter I'm going to be a sub for a larger snow company that recieved all of these properties all over the U.S. (not USM) So anyway a long story short. This company called me up and wanted to meet with me for a walk through with them and the property manager. So I went to the property and parked right where they told me to park and then a few minutes later the company that plowed this lot for 10+ years pulls up next to me and i'm thinking whats going on. Finally the larger firm shows up and we get out shake hands and lone behold the previous snow contractor is also the property main. Mgr. As were walking around he asks why he didn't get a chance to bid on it. and they said well, well theres only two reasons 1. The owners of the property didn't want you back do to lack of service. or 2. They said your bid was way to high. Since they were never asked to place a bid I figured it had to be the first reason, because all there properties are very poorly maintained (They are the biggest snow removal company in the area though). He then gets out of the truck and not more then 5 minutes later he calls and starts getting all pissy with is company and they said the same 2 reasons again to him, he then hung up. And then 5 minutes after that the properties owner calls and startes yelling at this large snow removal company that has 30+ of there accounts, saying that he told the previous snow contracted all these lie's. But I was right there and he never said what the previous guy said he did. So right off the bat i'm in deep with the Main. Mgr. for taking the job. So I know its going to be a very hard account know and he's going to do what ever it takes for me to loose this job. So what would you guys do?? I think I should go to all the stores mgr's and tell them if they have any complaints call me right away!! and maybe they wont call the Main. Mgr. Sorry for being so long but this whole thing lasted over an hour and a half.

2. CSP#1

CSP#1 Member

I am a little confused. How is the ex snow contractor related to this property if the new, larger company has the contract to plow the snow?

Why would the ex have any control over you?

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Stick with the company which is actually hiring you. Don't get sidetracked with all the extraneous drama. The property owner is hiring the services management company who in turn is hiring you. Your job is to provide service as agreed between you and the services management company NOT worrying about who said what to who. Provide the service, document (maybe even take before and after pictures), provide documentation to them as agreed and get paid as agreed. Everything else is BS.

4. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

The ex snow contractors title is "property maintenance mgr." he is in charge of mowing, landscape maintenance, lot sweeping. They must just hire a company to be in charge. So during the walk through the ex was telling me where we can pile snow and such. I was watching this property really close the past few years and he was piling snow in alot of different place like 6-7 different piles and now I can only have 3 (so he says). Also there is about 1 acre of grass that is owed by a different company and he says I need to do all the city walks around it. But he mows that area and I think he is just trying to get me to do the walks for free now, cause he wont have any equipment on site anymore. Because he doesn't want to drop a skid off for a 5min job. I'm just really worried that he will always complain to the owners about my work just to get it back.

5. CSP#1

CSP#1 Member

I agree. Forget the ex - live up to the agreement you have with the larger company that has the snow contract. You should not be dealing directly with the ex. The ex should be dealing with the larger snow contractor.

6. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

Thanks guys for your help!!

7. big acres

big acres Senior Member

csp... second that motion. you need to phase-out the ex!