1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how reliable is the "code lock"?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jerseydrew, Aug 22, 2015.

1. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

now that i have a "real" plow someone might look at it and say hey let me try and take that. how do you guys lock down your plows?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

If they to "try it", they will.

Drill the horns and pad lock to slow them down

3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i am currently using a hitch lock in the arm to prevent the pivot lock from latching, and block the plow with another truck. the old meyer lucks had american security padlocks in the attach holes. i am looking for a way to maybe adapt the padlocks to use them on the ultramount.

[​IMG]

4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

If you're parked somewhere from your house/business, you can leave the plow raised a few inches to keep pressure on the release mechanisms to make it harder for someone to make a quick grab. Could even chain the plow frame to a front tow hook using something like a coated bike chain.

I wouldn't stress about it too much though, as it's not like someone driving by would just happen to decide to steal it; would take some planning to steal something that large and cumbersome.

5. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

i had an old hitch lock laying around so i put one in and set the lock code. that should be good.

6. tjctransport

that will not work. unless the plow is on the ground, the headgear will not stand up to let you disconnect.
    last year there were over 40 ultramount plows stolen here in my town alone by simply pulling into the plow, hooking up, and driving away.
    when using a gas engine truck, the owners never heard the thieves.

7. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Don't recall ever reading a police report of a stolen plow around here

8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

I do no one person a few years back had there ultra mount stolen. The code lock might slow em down one minute to get it home. Block it in or chain it up.

9. tjctransport

yup, that is exactly what the got that took most of them here in town did.
    they finally caught him only when he stupidly tried selling a freshly stolen plow to someone he took a plow from a few weeks earlier. he was selling them for $2000 each and had orders for as many as he could get.
    he admitted to stealing the same plow from 5 different people.

10. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

And what happened to the guy?

11. tjctransport

still waiting to go to court.