1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how productive can plowing with a bobcat be?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mtr44, Nov 18, 2009.

1. mtr44

mtr44 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Has anyone put a blade on their bobcat to push snow? I have an 08 s-205 bobcat and have been looking at 96" blades for it, but don't know how productive we can be compared to a truck. We have two plow trucks and are considering adding the bobcat to our snowplow line-up but have no idea how effective it will be. Thanks for the help.:confused:
  2. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

depends...if you have a ton on lots within a short distance then the skid will be 100x more effective than a pick-up, but unless you plan on trailering it all over the place it would be hard to use for great distances with road travel being so slow.

production wise, the skid out plows the pick up hands down, gets in tighter places and is easier to manuever around. also, there's less stree on the skid compared to a tranny in a pick-up, which gets pounded.
  3. mtr44

mtr44 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Our Lots are spread out so i figure id have to trailer it from job to job but i dont think thats a huge deal. im just afraid to spend the money and it not be very productive. i can deal with putting it on the trailer.
  4. hunting white

hunting white Junior Member

Understand the time to load and unload (and chain) are often more than you pick up unless you have a larger lot. Understand DOT is out during the storms watching for truck with skids, just going a couple of miles.

They do detail work well. and as said before tend to outperform truck in some applications.
  5. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

very effective on driveways in condo units where there is very little travel time or on big lots where the stay for the storm. As soon as you have to move them on a trailer you loose all advantage, just put a plow on the truck that is pulling the trailer and you'll be better off.
  6. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

I just bought a new A 300 can't wait to see how it plows.
  7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

They're awesome in the right place......the tighter the better (careful cre)

Like redman said the work is easy on them. Don't travel with it......leave it on site. Just got to overcome the cold and vandalism.
  8. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

Keep them in one place, and enjoy the productivity. I always try to aggressively bid the properties adjacent to my existing contracts, and then place equipment on site when I've gotten enough ground to justify it. For instance, I have 3 accounts pretty much connected to each other that takes 2 trucks 6 hours, so 12 hrs of total truck plowing.....and it's now being done by one New Holland 185 with chains on the tires and a 9' pusher box in 3.5 hrs.
  9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

That will be a great machine to move snow with, and not to big to trailer around on a reg basis. depending on the lots you do, I would get an 8ft pusher....or at least put wings on the plow you get. It will be well worth your $, go for it! and good luck!
  10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

X's 2 on this post!...but he may need to "do what he has to do"(trailer it around) this year, and then next year go after a big lot to park it on. gotta start somewhere.
  11. mtr44

mtr44 Junior Member
    from Ohio

so what im getting is thati can plow faster with the bobcat than the truck but its a pain to haul it. If it can really do what one truck does in twelve hours in 3.5 i think i can take 10 minutes to load and unload. I guess its just a matter of how much more, if any, productive it can be,
  12. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

we use a two skids for most of our commericial and condos, they move slow, but can move a lot of snow in one push, definetly not as much wear as on a truck and plow. also you well get into tighter areas
  13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Not just how much more productive it can be, but now you've diversified yourself. Now you have 2 pickups & a SS to move snow (in most situations thats better than 4 pickups and no SS)
  14. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

we used to have a big commercial bakery, and we left the skid steer there all the time, the place had about 10 different loading docks in different areas, the skid steer did the lot hands down better than 2 plow trucks did
  15. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I don't agree that a SS can outperform a truck in all circumstances but if you already have a couple of trucks then I would definately go with a SS. I recently converted my Boss 9'2" v-plow to work on my S205. I haven't been able to try it out yet but it should work good. I tried an 8' pusher on it last year and found that in a heavy, wet snow it had trouble with that size of pusher. My tires may be gettin a little bald too though.
  16. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a broom, a box pusher and a converted truck plow blade for our 300 series. love the skid. out performs all my pick-ups, so if you don't mind loading it on a trailer, then buy one and enjoy.
  17. big acres

big acres Senior Member

The load/unload time should be no more than 4 minutes each.

Driver and skid op jump out and each grab a chain and a ramp.
    While op getting in skid, driver undoes wiring, safety chains etc...
    Op pulls off trailer, driver jacks up and pulls away.

Don't be afraid to build a route and trailer it. We trailer several all over town during storms and find travel isn't bad if you work your routing with traffic in mind and deply at the right times -no extra DOT hassles either.

Just be careful what you designate as a skid site, and don't get it to far away from other skid sites. Because they ARE so productive, wasting them on small, out-of-the-way lots and too much time on the trailer is unproductive.
  18. Premier

Premier Senior Member

Skidloaders with plows are one of the most efficent ways to do snow plowing, I would also recommend a light materials bucket for moving snow. i had a 3 yard sold it and now i miss it, it was too much for my new smaller loader to handle.
  19. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

Here in Okla. we can buy a skidsteer attachment snow plow for $1500.oo [ So top that!!!!!!!!] But if it does not snow it is a waiste of money. www.lantermantractor.com
  20. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

keep in mind to be most efficient using a plow or pusher you should be able to plow/push the snow to opposing sides of your lot...not pushing then backing up .