1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How productive are two snowblowers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mikemat31, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

Ok So here is my dilemma. Im 16 soon to be 17 I don't have a pickup, however one of my partners mom has a truck with a hitch. We would be able to put one blower inside and one on an extended cargo carrier. Right now I have just under 10 accounts. I am definitely looking to expand. I just don't want to be in over my head, and I was wondering how productive have you all been with just snow blowers. The snow blower's I have are 2, 2 staged snappers. They are relatively new. I purchased both of them. My dad has another 2 stage craftsman as a back up if need be. In addition I work for a landscaper so I can sub things out to him, but i still want to know how much do you think I could handle. Might I also add that we might have one person shoveling depending on the storm we have.

2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

what is the average size of these drives. how many big storms do you get
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

How far apart are the accounts?
  4. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

I say we average 6-12 plowable events 2 to 3 of those over 14in. 80% of the accounts are in the same town and the other 20% is in all neighboring towns less than a 10 minute drive. I say most of the accounts are 2 car widths wide and 2 car lengths long. Some bigger some smaller
  5. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

They are pretty effective i did 16 with 1 snowblower last year, you have 2 you will be fine! 10 accounts thats fine you will be done and looking for more before you know it... That is if these snowblowers are pretty big i was using a Ariens 1332 DLE its a beast. But if they are decently sized you will be fine.
  6. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

well I have 10 account right now, however I am looking to expand this year. Like closer to 20-30 accounts. I plan on ordering around 1,000 door hangers between my friend and I. Both blowers are 2 stage 8hp 24in. Plenty of power the cutting with isn't so great.
  7. mike thunder

mike thunder Senior Member

Two guys can do roughly 20 drives in about 8 hours including drive time and lunch break. Of course there are variables, but in general.
  8. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I think 2 guys working together can easily do 25 to 30 drives. I think it will consume time loading and unloading at each house as well as the bigger snowfalls.
  9. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

I Have another question. I'll give you my whole situation. I live in nj im 16 soon to be 17 in november. My question to all of you is how early did you start and become an actual company. I have two routes, start doing snow removal and landscaping in high school. In addition I would do the same in college. Or wait until after college to get going. I would definitely have more time then however, I am loosing 6 years possibly gaining experience. My question to all of you is when did you move from using mom's SUV to becoming an actual company? When did you start making a decent living? how long it took? and was your first set up using a plow or were some of you in a similar situation as I?

10. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Yeah idk if the craftsman will hold up to 20-30 accounts every storm, i have a feeling you will be investing in a honda or an ariens pro very shortly after you get 20-30 driveways.
  11. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

As far as your question goes about becoming an actual company, wait until your 18. I started plowing for myself early, and by 17 I was ready to do it all legal. Unfortunately you can not do much legal untill your 18. Ya you can put the business name and insurance in a parents name, then switch it out later, but what a hassle. I waited till i was 18 and did everything myself. If you have any more questions. PM me.
  12. jeffslawnservic

jeffslawnservic Member

I also waited until I was 18 and registered everything with the state. As for your question of when you should start doing things legally now or after college, I would do it after college. I am 19 now: run a legal business and also go to school full time about an hour away. If definitly gets hectic but I deal with it. The reason I would wait is with my major (landscape and business) there are a lot of bigger companies (Brickman, Valley Crest, Asplund, Davey, ect.) that come in to do job fairs and other functions at my college. One thing that almost every one of these companies offers is summer jobs and interships. Just from talking to the reps that they send to these job fairs and other things almost makes me want to go work for these companies during the summer. The reason I would want to work for them during the summer is to get experience and see a different way of doing things landscape wise and business management wise.

I also worked for a landscaper up until this year and i did learn a lot from him however there are things that I see these larger companies do that i wold love to know more about and wish I had the opportunity to work for them for a summer or two.

In a nut shell, I would wait and see if you can work for a few different companies through out college get a different view from a few places not just one.