1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How on Earth do you know when to go and plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Oasis, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Ok as my first year progresses we are doing our best to provide timely service to all of our clients. I have to say though I am finding it very difficult to know when to stay up and when to go to bed. We watch the news and weather forecasts but usually I would have more luck at the roulette table. We stay up every night until between 1-2 am at which point if it hasnt snown or isnt calling for snow we retire. How do you guys decide when to go out or if you will need to go out any particular evening. I would hate deciding to go to bed and find out that it started snowing at 3 or 4 am and now at 7 am everyone is snowed in and I havent started. Any advices???
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

dude the big letters and blue are just not workin:nono:
  3. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

sorry i fixed it ... its just i havent been on in a while and now my eyes are getting sore ... plus im not looking forward to going back out tonight... Tdot got snow :dizzy:

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

In answer to your question...

I wonder the same thing but common sense tells me that the TIMING of the storm will determine when to go out. For instance, this storm that's happening right now, as we speak...
    I will go out when it's slowed down or actually stopped, which will be later tonight...I'll have plenty of time to clear my residentials by morning when everyone needs to go to work...if anyone needs clearing before it stops they should call...but I can't see that happening as we are only getting 6-8 inches (educated guess)
    Everyone should be safe and warm at home tonight while it's still snowing...hopefully!

If the storm was running into the morning commute time I would be out by 3-4 am to clean them up for their commute then come back after for 2nd pass when the storm has wound down.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

hah...That was awesome!!

98 F-150 4x4 w/timbrens
    Meyer St-7'5"
    Troy Bilt Storm 1130

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to the snow plow club, up all night sleeping with one eye open and a finger on the trigger!!!! After many years of plowing you are describing 99.9% of us. For if you wern't up all night worying I'd tell you to get another hobby for snow plowing isn't in your blood.

What you need is the buddy system, find someone in your region to talk with and make game plans for the storm and season. With your buddy you can feel secured that you will wont drop the ball, if you do he does too. As time goes by your buddy network will grow and so will your profits.

Keep in mind its also up to you to keep up on the weather. Normally I check it daily, waiting for some good weather to roll in. When snow is in the forcast, I check it every 12, 6, 4, 2, 1 hours untill it starts. By becoming familiar with RADAR and the way sytems develope in your region you will become better prepared.

One last thing, a old timer told me that the weather will degerally change with the cycles of the moons. If it happens on the full moon that is the weather you can expect to dominate untill the next full moon. Keep this reasonalling in the back of your mind for it holds true 90% of the time. For the moons and sun cycles are the basic foundation to the farmers almanac.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I'm just a sub-contractor, so I just wait for the phone call, an am ready everytime I go to bed to wake up at the drop of a dime to go plow. I know that my contractor who has his own employees as well, will have someone on call most nights,(given the day) weather it's himself of another worker to be basically waiting for a inch of snow to fall @ our accounts, and will fill in the boss about the weather conditions. But for the most part, out weatherman do pretty damn good out here with there predictions. That's how I know when I should go to bed a little early or what not. We have had 5 plowable storms so far this season in metro Denver, and another one is coming tonight, everybody knows it...everybody is already ready for it...just waiting for the trigger...that YOU SET!!!

98 F-150 4x4 w/timbrens
    Meyer ST-7'5"
    Troy Bilt Storm 1130
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Go to bed and get up at 1 or 2 am depending on how long your route is. A couple hours sleep will be good to stay up the whole next day. Try and get in the habit of getting up at 4am even when no snow is in the forcast just to check the weather and get up earlier when calling for snow. I know it's hard to sleep when it's suppose to snow but it's the best thing you can do. We do site checks 7 days a week before 5 am and we keep detailed records of weather and site conditions, not a bad habit to get into. The environment Canada phone # is 416 661 0123.
  9. higgs2ca

higgs2ca Member

You Should work the Windsor area>>

I know Daff can back me up on this one , everything keeps missing us. They call for snow so I drive 30 Mins to Windsor, pre salt and wait................and then spring is here.tymusic
  10. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

If you live in southern michigan, it's really easy. We never get ANY!!! snow.
  11. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal Member

Guess it all depends on what time the storm is predicted to hit..i do mostly residentials..my rule of thumb is i make sure they can get out to work and back in after work.. i made my route accordingly..some have to get out others can wait..Im like you i cant sleep when i know its gonna snow. i want to run out the door and play and make $. some good advise in this thread.. ill have to put it into my routine
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2007
  12. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

When the accounts have to be plowed - the time it takes to do your route - the time it takes to get up, get dress, make coffee, & drive to the site = the time your alarm should be going off every morning they are calling for anything.

Go to sleep at night after your favorite show is over (the weatherman calling for snow on the news). I know its hard, but its the best thing. I should take my own advice. It is 9:46 and my trigger amount has already fallen and I KNOW I have to plow in the a.m.

Good Night
  13. bcf

bcf Senior Member

I try to go to bed early, then set the alarm for 2 am. IF nothing then 4 am, and finally 6 am. The first year I was so excited that I got up every hour, before I realized that it was pointless, and you can never trust the weathermen around here.
  14. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

I usually stay up till about 3am and then go home to sleep... my dad wakes up at 530 for work so we pretty much have all night covered, on weekends i stay up the same time and check out side every hour or so in the am, starting at 6am
  15. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

watch the evening news for any forecasts, check the internet, go to bed by 10pm. get up at 1am if snow is forecasted and take a look. if clear and snow was forecasted get up again at 3am.

if no snow is forecasted I don't bother, but getting up early helps (say 5am) that gives you just enough time to put some salt down on the VIP accounts.

the worst is getting woken up by the town plow driving by:eek:
  16. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

ya hearing the town plow go by sucks.:sleeping: had that one happen once.:cry:
  17. Rogerplows

Rogerplows Junior Member

The buddy system definately works, however, I choose the waking up every two hours method. It works for me since I'm not used to getting much sleep to begin with.
  18. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

When it snows over night, I wake up at 2:30 am and that's when we start. This is because all of our residentials have to be done by 7:30 am. If it's still snowing, we still go out, unless it's supposed to snow all day. Then we may make other plans.
  19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

JD and Quad hit it pretty good. Gets to be instinct after awhile too. Watch the radar, closely.