1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How old where you when....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by kg26, Dec 20, 2013.

1. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

How old were *you when... (Sorry I'm not sure how to edit thread title.)

As some of you may know I'm some what new to this level of business, hell I just bought my first truck this year, and snow blower a week ago. Up until now I had been working by hand and using subs to help out when storms got rough. I often think what it was like getting the business started those few moons ago.

I hate winter because of the cold, but I tell you what. I really enjoy sharing the roads with you guys at night there is something... majestic about seeing you guys with your rigs with the lights going, and plows going up and down. I look out my driver side window or out my windshield and I tip my cap to you all. My question to all of you is how old was your business when you had enough working capital to buy your first plow. I know it will be a little different for the guys who are financially leveraged, but what about the guys who built their company piece by piece brick by brick. The boot strappers. wesport
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  2. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Congrats on starting up from having nothing, but I started with a plow.. truck and plow is how I started.

well thats not true i guess, when i was 14 iI had an ATV and got a plow for it and used that two winters til I saved up for my first plow truck at almost 17
  3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Started out on a 8N ford tractor rear blade only Back then ATVs wasn't even thought of only ATV I had was little farm tractors
    Think cheapest price on a drive was 5 bucks that was good money then. Gas price was 0.40-0.50 range If I remember right to many moons ago
  4. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

them tractors are always been work horses and always did good on gas.
  5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Well by business in 10 years old, I started it with just an idea & a few hand tools I had collected while growing up.
    I've been doing snow for 9 years, first 4 years was with just a shovel, I then bought a old (72) JD tractor with a blower, then the next year my first plow truck, if you want to see my story(on the snow side) check out my thread, I think it documented my growth with a timeline pretty good, now keep in mind snow is only about 25% of my operation, all the other parts have grown as much as the snow side.
  6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Yes they was later jump up to a Gold jubilee that had a road gear would run 35
  7. m.williams

m.williams Member

I was walking around knocking on doors after a snowstorm since I could carry a shovel. But I really went into it when I started driving and was able to pick up a bunch of regular accounts. Then I loaded the snowblowers into my truck and went to work. This is my first year with a plow on my truck and no way I will go back to loading and unloading blowers from my truck again.
  8. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

When i was a teenager i would hustle steps, walks and driveways for change to by smokes and Five star, i did not buy a machine until i was 48. I worked a career at a mining company it was for the most part awesome, but being a couple thousand feet underground is not my choice place to be. This morning i was shovelling one of my zero places and stopped to laugh at how great it is doing something i really enjoy in the cold fresh air. Keep your bucket full.
  9. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

That ATV had to be pretty fun right, what's next for you?
  10. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

Imagine its got to be quite a feeling.
  11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Started running a skid for a friend at 14.
  12. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

I'm 21, I started my LLC this winter, have a 2500HD and 8'2" power V. Also lease a backhoe with 12' pusher.
  13. Ant118

Ant118 Senior Member

My father was in the business before I was born. He had 10-15 trucks back in the early 80's if I can remember correctly lol. I used to jump in his superduty dump and ride along on all his sites, A&P, Go Transit, hotels by the airport (in Ontario Canada). Back then it used to SNOW! I started really getting my feet wet when I was 13. I was running a Skid steer and the backhoes for my dad. We were in the excavation business so I ran machines my whole life. I finally started my company when I was able to get my license. G1 here in Canada. I could plow during the day and id get my dad too at night cause I wasn't allowed to drive at night lol. Then it grew from there. Now im 25, and looking to expand further. My father got out of the business due to the mid 90's when everyone was undercutting everyone. Learned a lot from my father and always still learning.
  14. HDChevy.Farmer

HDChevy.Farmer Junior Member

I just turned 16 in Novemb(I bought my own truck 1995 Silverado 2500 with 145,000 miles yes I bought with my own money fromm working on my neighbors farm) then just this last Saturday I purchased my first truck pole its an older Meyers 8 foot with the e47 pump and I have a few residential drives and my friends dads apartment complexes which are just residential drives but last year I plowed with my john Deere lawn mower just for a few neighbors when we only got 6 inches
  15. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

Nice to see motivated young people on here.
  16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I know IL schools aren't the greatest, but come on man.

I started probably around 14/15 with one of our atv's that had a blade on it. My parents owned a multi unit house in town and they would trailer the atv up there for me to plow the rental house and once I was done with that I'd check with other houses on the street to see about getting a few more driveways. When I was 16 I got my first truck and sometime later that year I picked up a 7.6 Unimount Pro with wings from the classified section on here. I bough it from GLS and dad and I drove 6hrs round trip to get it. I subbed for another guy running either my truck or his and had a few driveways of my own. I still do a similar gig, different truck, different company, still got a couple driveways of my own as well. I'm 24 now.

Found some pics.
    What I started with:
    First truck:
    Current setup:
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  17. ColliCut

ColliCut Member

I started shoveling sidewalks and porches as a young teen while my older brother plowed driveways with our ATV, eventually took over the ATV when he moved on to other things, and then got out of it entirely to pursue an engineering career when I turned 18. I must admit, back then, I didn't think much into it... snow removal was just something that every teenage boy in our town had to do. Now I'm 25 and although my career as an engineer is going well, it just isn't enough. I started ColliCut (named after my son, Collin) this fall, upgraded from an '02 F-150 2WD to an '02 F-250 4WD, and equipped it with a 7'-6" Western Uni-Mount.
  18. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

Thanks Thumbs Up
  19. r.renterprises

r.renterprises Member

Back in 96 my dad bought a jd 855 with cab loader and rear blower for his own drive. Now im 30 we have a cat 914g 12' deere 244j 10' 2 cummins with blizzard 810 mounted stainless Salter 2 bobcat skids deere 2720 cab brush up front blower in rear and gator cab with v plow. Bought and sold lots of equipment on the way. Got a nice set up now and we have more room to grow in our little town