1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how old is to old?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by c.t. lawn care, Mar 23, 2003.

1. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

how old is to old for a plow? i just got a sno-way that was made in 97' it works fine except for a dirty valve. how long should/could i get out of this plow?

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Don't know much about Snoways, but a plow is a permanent investment. At least it has been for me. Sure I went through a few used Meyer ST series plows over the years, but my Meyer C-8 and my Boss look to me that they'll last my lifetime. Surely they'll outlast both trucks usefull life.

Now you guys up in the snow belt may feel differently about this topic, but you should still see quite a few decades out of a plow.

3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Plow life

I think if you are smart and do service on the plow NOW when the season is winding down every year you should see a long life out of any plow.

This takes into account that you'll have to repair anything that has broken during the year or that looks like it is on it's way out. Regular Preventative Maintenance is necessary with any piece of equipment.

I have several customers running snoways from the early years of the Orange blade. Still going strong. Repairs as necessary and some new pumps but still pushing snow.

It's all what you put into it.

Leave it for the first snow and it's your own bad if it won't work.

Jerre

4. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I can't say anything about a snowway, but I had a western built and installed on a 1984 Dodge Snow-Commander 3/4 ton, plow still worked GREAT when I sold the truck with the plow.

Rick

5. SWR11

SWR11 Junior Member
    from Canada

My diamond plow is 2 yrs old and showing alot of wear. I will be replacing it with a new Fisher in September.:D

6. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

We have 2 arctic plows that are over 20 years old. other than occasional welding they work fine.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

A two year old Diamond is ready for replacement? What kind of snow do you get?

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Keep it.Most of our snoways are older,and once you repair all the crappy welds,and brace it up a bit,it will last for a long while with just normal maintenance and repair.

9. snowflake

snowflake Member

i got a meyers 8 ft poly hd come with my 91 dodge still in good shape yet. just minor welding and coat of paint looks and works good. i plow the **** out of it ever yr. take care of equipment it will last.

10. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

if your happy with the style (straight or "V" etc)then there is little reaon to worry about old because it's usually cheaper to repair than replace old plows. At the end of the day the snow gets plowed wether it's with a new $4000 plow or an old plow that you had to put a few hundred dollars into every few years
    IMO

11. tileman

tileman Member

How old is to old,I think it comes down to are you willing to work on your plow yourself, or is someone going to to it for you. Even if your plow is brand new it can and will brake down sometime.
    PM is the answer (preventive maintance). If you don't take care of it it will not take care of you. We have one meyers on the 79 that was on the truck when my buddy first got hold of it 15 years ago. It has plow a lot of snow, and yes we have had to do some work on it but this year it plowed rite along with the new ones. And no payments.

Tileman

12. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I got 10 hard NY winters on a 7 1/2 ft. western. It
    was on 3 new GM trucks. of mine..... Sold it to my
    bud to put on his 94 GM truck 2 winters ago.
    Its still working hard with only minor repairs.....
    I hope my new western ultra works as hard and
    as troublefree !
    ..........geo

Last edited: Mar 24, 2003
  13. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

1980 Western
    1982 Meyer.
    1987 Western

All still in service and running fine. They have outlived the trucks that they have been mounted on.
    Bottom line, Preventive maint is number one. Plus, just like the above mentioned, you can make them last forever if you don't mind making repairs when needed. Jake.

14. DLuccia

DLuccia Junior Member

i have a 76 bronco with a 78 fisher
    a 83 f150 with a 83 fisher plow and just sold a 69 chevy with a un known year plow early 70's
    i have a 99 ranger i wana put a min mount on it but it voids the warantee