1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How old is this plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by dukedrummer89, Nov 13, 2011.

1. dukedrummer89

dukedrummer89 Junior Member

I recently got a heck of a deal on a boss-v, upgraded from an old conventional meyer that was bought new in 93. The boss' serial number is 49846, wondering how old is it. I was told it is 5 years old, but appears older.

Also, it didnt come with a mount, or truckside wiring. It did come with a controller tho. Can you tell by the serial number if it takes the rt3 mount? Any suggestions on places to buy the mount/wiring would also be great
  2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Call boss with serial number, or post a picture and we'll get pretty close.
  3. dukedrummer89

Best picture Ive got as of now, have to wait till it daylight for better pics, its been sprayed black
  4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

That's an early RT3, yes. And WITH Smarthitch1

It's probably about 10-12 years old.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Bill's very close, it's 9-13 years old to be a little more exact. SH1 started in 1998 and ran into 2002 when SH2 was out in full swing. To know it's exact production year you'll need to call the factory with the s/n.
  6. dukedrummer89

made 99/2000

It is an rt3 with a smarthitch, now here is where it gets weird. Its a 7'6 plow, serial number confirms that. It has the 10ft plow coupler, its wider mounting location wise than the regular rt3 mount. The lock pins and 1.5od and the rt3 couple only has 1in holes

Ill post some pics here shortly

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Does it have 4 lights on it???
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Can't say why the serial # doesn't agree but it's a 10 footer with it's wings cut down. Easy to see there, notice the diagonal brace doesn't extend to the top outer corner of the wing, it's cut off therefore the wings had to be shorted. Definitely a 10 footer light tower as well thus basically the entire plow has to be a 10 footer.

Perhaps they "accidentally" changed the serial # decal. Easy enough to do.
  9. dukedrummer89

Yea, which doesnt really bother me, since the plow is in good working order.. problem is the mount I bought (lta03654c- 99-07 superduty) doesnt fit on the plow

Local boss dealer is ordering me the mount kit (7661B) with they said was a universal mount. But, I called boss and the guy in technical support told me it fits 99-07 f450-f550... so
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That isn't a universal mount. LTA07661B is a direct fit mount for 99-07 F450/550 for a 10 footer. The universal mount is just that, universal and comes in basically blank rough cut pieces that must be hand fabricated/customized for whatever application you're installing on and then welded together.

Have you verified the actual width of the plow with a measurement? A 7.6 V really isn't wide enough for a 250/350. It won't even clear the tire width in the vee or scoop positions, worse yet in a turn. An 8.2 is barely adequate.
  11. dukedrummer89

Its about 7'6 in the vee position, im not sure the width in the strait position. Should be fine for me as I dont do anything commercially, just family/friends drives and the church. Even with new lights, mount, and new wiring kit I wont have a whole lot over 2k in the setup, maybe 2500 if I get all new lights, Im trying keep this as cheap as possible, without cutting a bunch of corners.