1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How often to salt?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CK82, Dec 28, 2005.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

We have been having temperatures rising and falling around the 32 degree mark. Along with these temps we have been having freezing drizzle at times and during the nights everything freezes up and usually thaws mid morning the following day. I have been salting in the early A.M. before businesses begin operating, but I dont know how often to salt? Do I need to salt every day, or does the salt somewhat absorb moisture on the surface therefore wont need salting. Please use your expertise to help me.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

OK I'll try this question, is it necessary to salt, lets say two days in a row when the moisture on the pavement re-freezes. I'm just trying to get an idea of how often to salt and when its necessary, I dont want to overkill with salt and have my customers pissed.

Chris

3. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Post your question in the ice management section.You will get more answers there. I usually salt once after plowing ( a good amount) and if it snows a dusting or freezing rain I will go out and give it a light shot. I find that customers dont mind that scenario but if they see you salting all the time and it is not after a snow etc. they start complaining and watching their bill closely. Remember that they like to talk about maintaining a safe lot but they really do not want to pay for anything not totally necessary.

4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Depends on your contract. Now for me if there is any ice on the lots or sidewalks, it gets salted as much as needed. If they are calling for freezing drizzle, I make sure I check the condition of my accounts. Most of my cutomers have zero tolerance for ice thats why they are paying me. I had one owner complain that i salted his lot too much so I cut back, until he had a customer fall. So, now he lets me salt at my descretion again.:dizzy:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  5. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Thanks for the replies, I just had a scenario where it would constantly warm up and melt during the day and then refreeze at night, I guess I will salt at my discretion and if they complain do as you mentioned and cut back.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

When they complain, be sure and document that. If you don't have a written contract, write down something about "refused service" - specify what they refused, the wording, how they communicated (telephone, in person), date, who they told and actions you took. By saying you will "salt at my discretion" you just took on the majority of the liability. When they decline your advise, they also take on more of the liability.

7. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Good point!